Comet Tsuchinshan ATLAS at Mag 1 and getting brighter!?

I can't contain how excited/apprehensive I am about this one! An experienced observer friend of mine in Oz yesterday gave it a visual of Mag 1. The photos are stunning and I can't but help imagining what everyone's views or images of A3 will be if it keeps on keeping on. The forward scattering effect may really help. 

I've find memories of some real beauts over the years, standout obviously is Hale-Bopp (and getting to spend time with the man when I invited him over for our annual starpaty). His take of discovery and subsequent adventures was a real treat. 

Holmes was another super interesting one. I recall randomly looking up at Perseus one night and noticing it had an 'extra star' lol. Not long after it ballooned into an insanely big coma. An odd one to observe for sure. 

Could we get lucky again? I'm feeling optimistic. 

Edited by FrankRyanJr
  • Like 4

I tried a morning view a couple of days ago, but with no success. I used Stellarium and adjusted time and date, and I reckon my best chance is as an evening target at about 7pm on October 17th, when it will be at the same altitude as, and to the left of, Arcturus. This seems to be the best compromise between the comet dimming, atmospheric attenuation, and the comet being above roof/fence/tree height.

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Lister
typo
  • Like 1

I'm hoping that it will still be visible / imageable at the end of the month when I'm heading to The Isle of Wight intending to capture it from high ground looking down over The Needles chalk stacks. Every comment about it brightening brings both joy to me and apprehension that it will be an anti-climax with mist or cloud interrupting my efforts. Meanwhile, it may just appear just north of the line of The Chilterns which extend to my locality so I can look towards a lower altitude.
As for how (assuming some decent skies), I shall be using a Nikon Z6ii with a 14-30mm f/2.8 lens at ISO640 for 3 seconds on one rig and my 80mm ED f/6.25, a 0.8 reducer and my ASi585MC on another, probably without the guiding and with short exposures (<2 seconds?) to balance land/seascape with the object's travel.

Tony

4 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

I tried a morning view a couple of days ago, but with no success. I used Stellarium and adjusted time and date, and I reckon my best chance is as an evening target at about 7pm on October 17th, when it will be at the same altitude as, and to the left of, Arcturus. This seems to be the best compromise between the comet dimming, atmospheric attenuation, and the comet being above roof/fence/tree height.

Geoff

Good on you! I reckon we might see it earlier than the 17th. I guess it all depends on your latitude and horizon.

4 hours ago, Tony Acorn said:

I'm hoping that it will still be visible / imageable at the end of the month when I'm heading to The Isle of Wight intending to capture it from high ground looking down over The Needles chalk stacks. Every comment about it brightening brings both joy to me and apprehension that it will be an anti-climax with mist or cloud interrupting my efforts. Meanwhile, it may just appear just north of the line of The Chilterns which extend to my locality so I can look towards a lower altitude.
As for how (assuming some decent skies), I shall be using a Nikon Z6ii with a 14-30mm f/2.8 lens at ISO640 for 3 seconds on one rig and my 80mm ED f/6.25, a 0.8 reducer and my ASi585MC on another, probably without the guiding and with short exposures (<2 seconds?) to balance land/seascape with the object's travel.

Tony

Sounds like a great plan! Hopefully your trip will pay off. 

19 hours ago, FrankRyanJr said:

I can't contain how excited/apprehensive I am about this one! An experienced observer friend of mine in Oz yesterday gave it a visual of Mag 1. The photos are stunning and I can't but help imagining what everyone's views or images of A3 will be if it keeps on keeping on. The forward scattering effect may really help. 

I've find memories of some real beauts over the years, standout obviously is Hale-Bopp (and getting to spend time with the man when I invited him over for our annual starpaty). His take of discovery and subsequent adventures was a real treat. 

Holmes was another super interesting one. I recall randomly looking up at Perseus one night and noticing it had an 'extra star' lol. Not long after it ballooned into an insanely big coma. An odd one to observe for sure. 

Could we get lucky again? I'm feeling optimistic. 

Still far from the Hyakutake and Hale Bopp, especially concerning visibility from home (Northern Hemisphere). Painfully close to the Sun and again, not coming North enough. Not giving up some hope though for the evening visibility.

Edited by GTom