NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M 13, M81 & M82

Bigwings

Early night didnt look to good with lots of thin cloud but at 1.30a.m it cleared. Lovely clear skies with a little light pollution to the south.

I had to go look for M13 after the stunning images on the forum. My usual start with the 40mm eyepiece giving a nice big fuzzy ball. Changing to the Antares W70 15mm produced lovely views quite large in the view with lots of stars becoming visible. I tried a 4.6mm but the view was dull and difficult to focus. I find my 40mm eyepiece is becoming my favorite.

I then tried M82 which showed as a definite cigar shape larger than I expected. M81 I found quite easily with its round fuzzy shape. Going to change the EP I kicked the tripod and being cold called it a night. Besides Andromeda M81 & M82 are my first galaxies. Im a happy chappy.......but what would it be like with a 12".....

Great objects, aren't they? Did you manage to get both M81 & M82 in the same field of view? that is one of my favourite sights.

Mark

PS I am off to Talgarth next week with the Skylark, fingers crossed for some good weather and high altitude mountain wave!

.......but what would it be like with a 12".....
Don't go down that road.....Your wallet will never forgive you!:).....Still, these objects are even better in larger apertures:p. Don't listen to me, I've now had to hide my credit card!:D

Stef

Hi, Gliderpilot

I was happy just to get M81 & M82. Not sure about the angle of seperation would they be in the same field in my 2003fl SCT?

Take care in the wave and dont forget two pairs of tights keep you warm above 12000'.

Shhh I wont tell the forum that glider pilots sometimes wear tights.....

Stefski, I know what yo mean about the wallet. The wishlist at the moment is an EOS1000D ,12"+ Dob the only thing that stops me buying a 12"Skwarcher Flexitube is that I wont till they give it GOTO. I also would like.............

Thanks Doc,

The only trouble is...its addictive. I feel the need to get it as an image.

I have just bought an adapter for Afocal so I will give it a try. Cheap and cheerfull imaging but worth a try

Ahh, now you've gone and mentioned the i word. It won't be long now, trust me...

Serioously though, congrats on getting M81 and M82 - they're beauties aint they?

Try for M92 in Hercules as well, it's often overlooked.

Cheers

Iain

Hi, Gliderpilot

I was happy just to get M81 & M82. Not sure about the angle of seperation would they be in the same field in my 2003fl SCT?

Take care in the wave and dont forget two pairs of tights keep you warm above 12000'.

Shhh I wont tell the forum that glider pilots sometimes wear tights.....

Stefski, I know what yo mean about the wallet. The wishlist at the moment is an EOS1000D ,12"+ Dob the only thing that stops me buying a 12"Skwarcher Flexitube is that I wont till they give it GOTO. I also would like.............

I have the 10" skywatcher flextube and also though they dont have goto they do have the electric mount but they are some pennys more, sadly they dont sell them by them selfs :icon_salut: but i found i learn and prefere to move it manually rather than GOTO, think it takes the fun out of it.

Archived