Just received my first ever telescope but is it faulty? Please help

Just an update if there is anyone around....

I received the Svbony diagonal in the post today and after fitting it to the scope nothing has changed, I have the same blurry out of focus problem.  I also attached my eyepiece to the diagonal and still had a blurry view. I was hoping fitting the diagonal would solve the issue. Now thinking I may need extra extension pieces and/or spacers as others in this thread have mentioned.

I've also contacted Svbony support so I'll see what they say. 

A few thoughts use you diagonal and an eyepiece try slowly winding the focuser all the way in and then all the way out whilst looking at a very distant object (not the sun). If that fails whilst looking at the very distant object carefully pull out the eyepiece to see where the focus gets clearer to work out if you need a further extension tube. Test using your lowest powered eyepiece. Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/09/2024 at 07:51, Clown Sid said:

Thanks, this is actually the one I ordered from Amazon. Seems like a good deal 

Just be aware that the side covers on some of these are bare silver metal and need to be blackened. I bought one a couple of years ago and had to paint the inside. Svbony may have rectified this by now but it's definitely worth checking by removing a side cover. But you can leave this for now until you get the more urgent matter of focusing your telescope sorted out.

Edited by bosun21

14 hours ago, Clown Sid said:

Just an update if there is anyone around....

I received the Svbony diagonal in the post today and after fitting it to the scope nothing has changed, I have the same blurry out of focus problem.  I also attached my eyepiece to the diagonal and still had a blurry view. I was hoping fitting the diagonal would solve the issue. Now thinking I may need extra extension pieces and/or spacers as others in this thread have mentioned.

I've also contacted Svbony support so I'll see what they say. 

I am a member of Bristol Astronomical Society. We are planning a "scope surgery" sometime over the next month or two aimed at helping folks to get the best from their scopes and help with issues that they might have. It's free to all. Why not drop the Secretary of the society a message and maybe come along if you have not sorted things out by then ?:

secretary@bristolastrosoc.org.uk

• Like 1

Could you please post a photo of your telescope with the diagonal and eyepiece fitted please. Have you scrolled SLOWLY through the full range of the focuser travel? From all the way in to all the way out without removing your eye from the eyepiece? To see if an extension is needed you can wind the focuser all the way in then pull your diagonal out say a half inch along with the eyepiece. Once tightened in this position SLOWLY wind the focuser out while looking through the eyepiece. Does it reach focus or indeed get closer to it than before? If so then a longer extension is required. Post a photo of the setup please.

• Like 1

Thanks so much to everyone for responding. I took bosun’s advice and wound the focuser very SLOWLY as mentioned and it worked !I managed to get focus at last.

What an amazing forum with so many helpful people.

Now for some clear skies…..

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Clown Sid said:

Thanks so much to everyone for responding. I took bosun’s advice and wound the focuser very SLOWLY as mentioned and it worked !I managed to get focus at last.

What an amazing forum with so many helpful people.

Now for some clear skies…..

Well done 👍.

I have that one, the SV188P.  I opened it, to see what makes it tick...

photoshoot.JPG.0cedc9e9d69ec64f90f3b46a40dd4879.JPG

I didn't like it as it arrived.  Other purchasers do not like it all that well, either,  The consensus is that it's a dielectric done badly. 

But then, I got my own when it was first available.  Maybe they've been improved, maybe not.  In the end, I tried to return it, but the return screens "said" there was no need, so I got it for free.  It was then that I took it apart.

I'm not suggesting to return it.  Try it out, see if it's a performer.  I couldn't get a truly sharp image out of it; a tad smeary.  The way the mirror inside is held in place, and aligned(???), disgusted me.

In the end, I got S. V. Bonet's non-dielectric model, the SV221, just a plain ole optical-flat, but I haven't tried it out yet...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Svbony-Accessories-Groundbased-Astronomical-Observations/dp/B0CB6DRSJB/ref=sr_1_3

Again, they may have improved the SV188P during the interim, maybe not.

Otherwise, I prefer star-prism diagonals to use with my refractors, fast or slow, no matter.