Sudden Asiair wifi problems.

Sudden wifi problem possibly connected with latest firmware....or not! ASI Pro has been happily working for ages with a mini TPLink router connected, I could easily walk 20 metres plus and sit inside the house with a good connection.

Now the problem, initially Asiair starting without a beep and no wifi light on. I re-installed the OS from a backup and reset the wifi with a pin and now the wifi light comes on and it beeps.

Problem is the Asiair wifi by itself doesn't come up in the network list on my android phone or iPad pro. If I then plug my little TPLink mini router I can get into the Asiair app and the wifi signal is strong until I move away so it seems there is a wifi connection working in the Asiair but it's not broadcasting by itself, it seems to need the mini router to broadcast.

Any views gratefully received. I've also posted this in the ZWO Asiair page on Facebook.

I'm not a big user of the Air's wif, I use a hard ethernet connection via tp link adapters, so probably not much help. The only thing I could suggest is that you try to roll back to the previous firmware version.  Sorry I can't be much more help than help.

Jim 

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it could be this but with your WiFi extender I assume it's working in station mode, and without you'd need to set it back to default, I can't remember whether it switches automatically.

• Like 1

I had repeated WiFi niggles for the 1st time with the previous firmware too. It seems that the lack of an external aerial is a definite weakness of the ASIAir Pro, hence one being added on the Plus. 

I'm also having annoying power dropouts since I bought it (2nd hand). I'm not sure if they're connected.

The 12v input socket on my AA+ seems to be temperamental, the smallest movement of the device can cause my ASIAir to reboot. This happens even if I wrap the power lead around some of the holes in the tripod spreader in an attempt to stabilise it. 

I presume that an iffy power connection could reduce the voltage reaching the electronics and affect the WiFi stability. 

I'm building up the courage to open the case and check out the soldering of the power socket to the board. 

Hope you solve your WiFi problem. 

Mike

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stickey said:

The 12v input socket on my AA+ seems to be temperamental, the smallest movement of the device can cause my ASIAir to reboot

Have you tried the correct size? I had this with my pro and bought new cables which fit better.

9 minutes ago, Elp said:

Have you tried the correct size? I had this with my pro and bought new cables which fit better.

Hadn't thought of that. I assumed the cable that came with the AA+ was the correct one, but that may have been naive. I'll check it out, many thanks for the suggestion. 

M

It should be the right size if you have the default zwo cables, the pin size is 5.5 x 2.1mm. I found with my pro the thinner cable I had could tilt and touch the internal metal part of the port causing resets. A correct pin size shouldn't move laterally like this.

2 hours ago, saac said:

I'm not a big user of the Air's wif, I use a hard ethernet connection via tp link adapters, so probably not much help. The only thing I could suggest is that you try to roll back to the previous firmware version.  Sorry I can't be much more help than help.

Jim 

It's possible apparently to roll back firmware using an apk on an android device however I know I'd probably destroy it completely if I tried that. I'll sit back and hope that ZWO issue a firmware that irons out those wrinkles.

1 hour ago, Elp said:

I'm not sure if it could be this but with your WiFi extender I assume it's working in station mode, and without you'd need to set it back to default, I can't remember whether it switches automatically.

No, the Asiair is not in station mode, it's simply just a case of setting the mini router correctly and plugging it in to the Asiair, it's been working fine for over 2 years. What I don't understand is the electronics of it, obviously the Air is producing some kind of signal but one that is not strong enough to be detected by my iPad or phone otherwise it would not be amplified by the TPLink mini router albeit weakly. This is the mini router:

TP-Link AC750 Dual Band Wi-Fi Travel Router (Support Router Mode/Hotspot/Range Extender Mode/Client Mode/Access Point Mode, 1 USB 2.0 Port/1 Micro USB Port, 1 WPS Button, UK Plug (TL-WR902AC)) : Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

11 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

it would not be amplified by the TPLink mini router albeit weakly

Just bear in mind, the WiFi module of the air has nothing to do with any WiFi extender plugged into it, they work on their own merit.

I do note with the pro, sometimes even if stood right next to it, or even my phone on top of the unit it sometimes didn't connect. The quad antenna WiFi extender I had had no such issue. I tried the one you have, I didn't get on with it as it wasn't that much better range/strength than the in built one.

Ultimately I went with a plus and a mini, the mini is the best though the gen3 plus might also be similar (the mini was the newest until the plus V2 and V3).

You can test surrounding WiFi strength with an app like WiFi Analyser, it might shed some light onto what your device is doing and how strong it's signal is. Surrounding WiFi devices broadcasting on the same channels can cripple WiFi signal, as can building materials and even your OTA.

8 minutes ago, Elp said:

Just bear in mind, the WiFi module of the air has nothing to do with any WiFi extender plugged into it, they work on their own merit.

I do note with the pro, sometimes even if stood right next to it, or even my phone on top of the unit it sometimes didn't connect. The quad antenna WiFi extender I had had no such issue. I tried the one you have, I didn't get on with it as it wasn't that much better range/strength than the in built one.

Ultimately I went with a plus and a mini, the mini is the best though the gen3 plus might also be similar (the mini was the newest until the plus V2 and V3).

You can test surrounding WiFi strength with an app like WiFi Analyser, it might shed some light onto what your device is doing and how strong it's signal is. Surrounding WiFi devices broadcasting on the same channels can cripple WiFi signal, as can building materials and even your OTA.

What is exercising me in search of a solution is that it was working fine last week. Is this the quad antenna extender you had? Vonets VBG1200 Industrial Dual band 2.4GHz&5GHz WiFi bridge High Power 1200Mbps Wireless Repeater/Router with 4 External Antennas Great Partner for Security System Electronic/Network/Medical device: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It has occurred to me that if that can be configured to be in station mode then that might enable me to bring the iPad indoors, I've forgotten what little networking skills I ever had! 

38 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Is this the quad antenna extender you had?

Yes, but the industrial part is a big claim that it doesn't necessarily live up to, from upstairs I did manage to get a patchy connection in certain areas, usually slow but at least I could monitor the guiding to see it was running. I was however connected directly to the extender, it may work better with the extender connected to a home router, and the controlling device to the router, routers generally have better antennas. Also note, the extender is best powered with its own usb power bank, with the pro I found it drew so much power connected to it that my plans would stop because it caused the air to reset.

A better option I'd think for you is to find a used mini, you'll wonder why you ever put up with the pro.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

I think a used mini would be ideal but I must warn you that my Domestic Financial Controller would like a word with you.......

Justify the spend with one incoming, one outgoing. WiFi working, a more happy chappie.

In all honesty, zwo should have done better with the pro in terms of WiFi, I wouldn't have released it as it was, the gen1 performed better in this area due to being in a plastic housing.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

Sudden wifi problem possibly connected with latest firmware....or not! ASI Pro has been happily working for ages with a mini TPLink router connected, I could easily walk 20 metres plus and sit inside the house with a good connection.

Now the problem, initially Asiair starting without a beep and no wifi light on. I re-installed the OS from a backup and reset the wifi with a pin and now the wifi light comes on and it beeps.

Problem is the Asiair wifi by itself doesn't come up in the network list on my android phone or iPad pro. If I then plug my little TPLink mini router I can get into the Asiair app and the wifi signal is strong until I move away so it seems there is a wifi connection working in the Asiair but it's not broadcasting by itself, it seems to need the mini router to broadcast.

Any views gratefully received. I've also posted this in the ZWO Asiair page on Facebook.

Hate to say this but Ive seen a few issues on the AA facebook page with the Asi Air PRO and the recent update. one person had the temerity to suggest ZWO are not bothering with the older pro and only checking that the newer versions and AM XX mounts are workable..

At least with the ASIAir Pro you can easily swap the OS just by changing the micro-sd card.  Indi-lib supports the ZWO power ports so you can run Stellarmate, Astroberry and other indi driven Pi systems. 

46 minutes ago, 900SL said:

I added a basic mini router to my Asi Air Pro using a short LAN cable. Now I sit inside eating toast and drinking tea from a range of ten meters. 

That's what I've been doing since day 1 but even without it the Air showed up in the available network list and I could have used it without the mini router if I stayed next to it. Now even with the mini router connected it's only effective up 4-5 metres away.

46 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Hate to say this but Ive seen a few issues on the AA facebook page with the Asi Air PRO and the recent update. one person had the temerity to suggest ZWO are not bothering with the older pro and only checking that the newer versions and AM XX mounts are workable..

Yes that has occurred to me, the Pro is 2nd generation and we're now looking at the 5th generation, most manufacturers would only give limited support if any.

13 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

At least with the ASIAir Pro you can easily swap the OS just by changing the micro-sd card.  Indi-lib supports the ZWO power ports so you can run Stellarmate, Astroberry and other indi driven Pi systems. 

Indeed that's true but I had my fill of those two platforms when I started this lark 3 years ago although Stellarmate was occasionally good for easy EAA, I might try that again.

Anyway, I now think that blaming the various updates for the demise of my Pro is probably a step too far, if I analyse how it's been working during the past few weeks it seems that wifi range has been gradually been diminishing. I used to be able to sit in my armchair to monitor the nights progress

and shout at the guiding but then I got reconnection messages so I moved the iPad closer to window. Last night I even had problems with the phone app and IOS app with being unresponsive to finger pressure, it took me ages to get the mount to respond to move to vertical to stick on the light thingy for the flats.

Thanks to everyone for their responses, after spending all of yesterday doing all I could and lying awake during the night pondering the problem I decided that my Pro is in terminal decline for it's intended use and today I've ordered a Mini from FLO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 900SL said:

I suspected this when v2.0 of the app came out with its respective air firmware. The WiFi of the pro seemed none existent at times even right next to it, and I wasted something like 6 sessions because it had its own ideas about gotos wanting to kamikaze into the ground, resetting the home position itself to a random orientation (usually east/west 90) plate solving not working, sometime the mount just stopping dead and unresponsive. Yet on the v1.9 beta app version I used for long after that it tended to work fine.

• Like 1