Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Various Mods to 16" Lightbridge

albedo0.39

Hi there people. I have just started a journey to try and improve small but important parts of my new LB. Although the prior owner was a near professional when it comes to astronomy, the LB was one of many he had but for me, this is "it". I have read much about small tweaks you can make (thanks to Doc and others) so have completed a few.

Interior Flocking

ScopesinMay2009035.jpg

Upper Tube Flocking (the flash and bright lights make it look a lot lighter than it really is)

ScopesinMay2009039.jpg

Modified Secondary Mirror adjuster

I ground the screws to a point, and also drilled "dimples" into which the points sit to provide a "slip free" collimation

ScopesinMay2009036.jpg

I have "indexed" the truss tubes and Upper OTA (note SS Cap screws and deep section washer on Lower OTA)

ScopesinMay2009040.jpg

Upper (and yes... I will replace those rusty screws with cap screws in the near future)

ScopesinMay2009041.jpg

And finally... something I hope will be on my mind everytime I use this scope.

ScopesinMay2009043-1.jpg

Of course, there's a few more mods to follow, and some I haven't shown, but it's a start.

Cheers for now

Nice mods Steve - it's looking great :).

When I 1st got my LB12 I was a little put out that a number of mods were needed, almost essential in fact, to create a really useful scope but I'm now enjoying planning the next "tweak" - it's a little hobby in itself !

Blackening the tube rings, some flocking and a light shield for the upper OTA are next on my list plus I'd like to put a dual speed focusser on it :D

John

Hey John, I must agree with you. Of course, I'm in it for the view, but I'm also a realist and and engineer at heart so for me the LB satisfies on 2 levels. "Tweak-ability" is one of them ! The flocking is an art - especially the L OTA. When you get nearer to the event, I'd be happy to offer some "wise after the event" advice if required.

I have a light shroud, but I've yet to try it - any ideas how well they work ? (my first light was in twilight so no need to use)

Cheers

Very professional job you have made off the flocking. Neat idea about grinding the scecondry mirror screws, have yet to do this one.

A light shroud is a must on a scope this size. Eliminates all light scatter and makes image alot darker.

Hey John, I must agree with you. Of course, I'm in it for the view, but I'm also a realist and and engineer at heart so for me the LB satisfies on 2 levels. "Tweak-ability" is one of them ! The flocking is an art - especially the L OTA. When you get nearer to the event, I'd be happy to offer some "wise after the event" advice if required.

I have a light shroud, but I've yet to try it - any ideas how well they work ? (my first light was in twilight so no need to use)

Cheers

Thanks Steve,

I'll take you up on the flocking advice before I start on that one :)

I found the light shroud absoloutely essential as I observe from a patio at the rear of my house and I have neighbours lights on 3 sides up to around midnight which pretty much kills contrast without a shroud. I'm prioritising the light shield on the upper OTA for the same reason.

John

• 2 weeks later...

This mod helps you collimate easier / quicker (well it helped me)

Fairly self explanatory, but I only adjust "A" and "C" to collimate and by black dotting the collimation knobs, I can see which direction / by how much I need to tweak the mirror. Simple and almost free

May23rd2009002.jpg

You think so Mick? I've never really thought about it, I'll have to give it a go. :cool:

Give it a go Gaz. I've tried it with and without and you can see a difference in contrast, especially if you are surrounded by lights. From a dark site I doubt if it is that essential.

Archived