Moving from broadband to narrowband...

3 hours ago, Elp said:

I did this recently having wisely (not) used a different camera so the pixel scales were different. Had to re-export all sessions with their own calibration frames applied, exported as individual images, then load every image together at once register etc.

It pushed me to getting another HDD now as the 2TB is full.

Astroimaging is nuts for storage requirements. My 2TB external drive is almost full, I have two internal C & D drives almost full, and an added internal solid state E drive I use just for Siril, which is half full. I need to cull some stuff

42 minutes ago, 900SL said:

OK, now I'm getting somewhere. I did a gentle arc sine stretch on the RGB stars, and increased saturation, taking care not to blow out stars. Then ran Starnet 2 on the HOO image and dumped the HOO stars, and then same on the RGB stars, but kept the stars. Then used the Siril Star recombination.

Feel free to laugh at the consequences of not making sure the framing was accurately matched each night. This is just a rough pass to see whether it would work. 

Unsavedstarrecompositionresult.thumb.jpg.f20e59bb8841951d0cd0f7b128e40d3f.jpg

I had way worse on same target. Some of those edges weren't even visible with histogram view until after gradient removal. So I'd restart. Then find another. 

Had to crop so much didnt leave much left :(

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, 900SL said:

You win :)

Hey, my HOO starless is getting there. I might have to get NoiseXterminator, I'm still struggling with backgrounds after like 7 hrs+ mono subs

Starless-HOO.thumb.jpg.6962651ef6d06b026dbf91707ecc2001.jpg

Noise Xterminator wipes the floor with any other NR routine I've tried on astrophotos. It takes out noise without damaging detail in ways that are hard to believe.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Noise Xterminator wipes the floor with any other NR routine I've tried on astrophotos. It takes out noise without damaging detail in ways that are hard to believe.

Olly

Hey Olly do you have a repository of your wisdom for processing using PS anywhere?

9 hours ago, 900SL said:

Hey Olly do you have a repository of your wisdom for processing using PS anywhere?

I'm not sure that the world has any great need of such a repository! :grin:

I have always offered my help, for what it's worth, to guests of my gite but I haven't created a channel or set of videos. It's something I think I ought to look into because I do think Photoshop is becoming seriously under-rated as an astrophotographic post-processing tool.  It strikes me that more and more astrophotographic suites are appearing, each giving well-thought-out ready made routines which give highly educated guesses as to what a data set might need. I say 'highly educated' sincerely and with respect for those who write the software, but I like to process an image myself and Ps lets me do that. It didn't become the world's most-used graphics program without good reason and its analogue UI suits my touchy-feely way of working on an image.

Olly

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I'm not sure that the world has any great need of such a repository! :grin:

I have always offered my help, for what it's worth, to guests of my gite but I haven't created a channel or set of videos. It's something I think I ought to look into because I do think Photoshop is becoming seriously under-rated as an astrophotographic post-processing tool.  It strikes me that more and more astrophotographic suites are appearing, each giving well-thought-out ready made routines which give highly educated guesses as to what a data set might need. I say 'highly educated' sincerely and with respect for those who write the software, but I like to process an image myself and Ps lets me do that. It didn't become the world's most-used graphics program without good reason and its analogue UI suits my touchy-feely way of working on an image.

Olly

I and many others would welcome such a guide Olly, I'm sure

I have Affinity Photo and have just bought the NoiseXterminator plugin, but I am a complete novice when it comes to such software, so I am stumbling around in the dark. I can get a half decent stretched and processed Tiff out of Siril, but it lacks any tools for more selective processing of nebulosity 

A basic introduction to how you process nebulosity (tools and workflow maybe?) would be very helpful. I understand (sort of) curves, but masking, layers, selection etc are like the dark arts :)

On 30/08/2024 at 22:13, 900SL said:

Astroimaging is nuts for storage requirements. My 2TB external drive is almost full, I have two internal C & D drives almost full, and an added internal solid state E drive I use just for Siril, which is half full. I need to cull some stuff

Don't forget you need to double the storage for backing up all your data! I have so far filled three 4 Tb drives and I am well into a fourth. And then I have the same number of full backup drives of everything. This is not counting the two disks that have stopped working including an one year old SSD, so backup is a must.

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

It didn't become the world's most-used graphics program without good reason

This, is what a few people fail to understand. It can also be used for ANY image processing or for content creation so far more productive use of ones learning time. I was slightly amused that Siril introduced a more comprehensive curves stretch utility, curves of which have been in PS since day one or near enough.

Skills are also transferrable to Affinity which you can own, or also GIMP which is free (and I find far better for linear stretching). It also has the Resynthesiser plugin you can install which does PS like content awareness fill without the need for a subscription (not as comprehensively mind, you couldn't use it for extending missing parts of your scene like you can do with PSs), the Gmic plugin also does a decent NR if used very slightly.

16 minutes ago, gorann said:

Don't forget you need to double the storage

It took 7 odd hours transferring my 2Tb HDD data over to another drive... It was not fun. SSDs would be better but costly at large capacity which isn't really needed for storing not often accessed files.

2 hours ago, Elp said:

It took 7 odd hours transferring my 2Tb HDD data over to another drive... It was not fun. SSDs would be better but costly at large capacity which isn't really needed for storing not often accessed files.

I know it takes a whole cloudy night to copy a whole HD (even SSD) but I backup every time I have finished a new image and then it just takes a minute.