Moving from broadband to narrowband...

7 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Er clouds so doing flats

Is 9 seconds unusually long?

My flats are usually 10s long most of the time with auto exposure, though this is narrowband. It depends on how diffused your light is and how dim it is as well as the speed of your optics.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Elp said:

My flats are usually 10s long most of the time with auto exposure, though this is narrowband. It depends on how diffused your light is and how dim it is as well as the speed of your optics.

I was just a bit shocked, flat wizard for broadband flats takes about .2sec lol

Nice one Tiff, I'd be happy with that. Give it a year and APOTD!

Re flats, broadband - not too long or short. Some sensors are a bit fickle but the 533 is fine with 0.2s. I get odd results if too long though

Median exposure should be around 32K ADU (ie half of full well depth)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Nice one Tiff, I'd be happy with that. Give it a year and APOTD!

Re flats, broadband - not too long or short. Some sensors are a bit fickle but the 533 is fine with 0.2s. I get odd results if too long though

Median exposure should be around 32K ADU (ie half of full well depth)

Honestly I just use Nina flat wizard atm. I was a bit concerned when it went from my broadband 0.2secons ish to 9 seconds, but stacked result looks ok. Above image  is 4600sec ish, some subs will of been at start in daylight can cull those later when I do it with a bit more effort :)

Yeah, you’ll need longer exposures with narrowband due to less light. Flats are a must for each filter, but no need for darks or bias. Processing-wise, splitting Ha and Oiii or using a fake SHO palette can work. Just watch for noise and artifacts.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jhonson said:

Yeah, you’ll need longer exposures with narrowband due to less light. Flats are a must for each filter, but no need for darks or bias. Processing-wise, splitting Ha and Oiii or using a fake SHO palette can work. Just watch for noise and artifacts.

My 9 seconds flats seem to have worked out ok. It was just a bit of a shock at the time.

I'll post the short M27 I did and crescent nebula once I've had a chance to quick process them.

I remember thinking one 2 mins sub on m27 looked better than my much bigger previous stack. I could clearly see the dark red jet outside the circular outline. I may be getting slightly carried away though.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

5 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I was just a bit shocked, flat wizard for broadband flats takes about .2sec lol

Yea, I have an auto motorised flats panel and with 3nm narrowband filters I can get my flats in well under a second, as I have 4096 light settings on the panel, but i use 4 seconds and it alters the light panel automatically to suit the time I choose, or I can pick a light setting and let NINA pick the exposure length, but 4 secs is about right for a CMOS camera I have found…or longer if your light source will allow.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yea, I have an auto motorised flats panel and with 3nm narrowband filters I can get my flats in well under a second, as I have 4096 light settings on the panel, but i use 4 seconds and it alters the light panel automatically to suit the time I choose, or I can pick a light setting and let NINA pick the exposure length, but 4 secs is about right for a CMOS camera I have found…or longer if your light source will allow.

i don't have any of that. i only just still have a tablet to use as a flats light source :)

• Like 2

so i think this next image is quite shocking. whether its shockingly good for its 3960 seconds total exposure or my multiple session almost 37000 seconds  broadband comparison image was just so bad im not sure.

this is drizzled and a quick stretch, no broadband stars or anything.

first image is my 37k seconds masterpeice.

second image is the narrowband i took last night of 3960 seconds. i like this sv220 filter a lot already. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c09e365b0d5e7ecf40767bf1e678f0bc.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b52085d7c1628c96c8bd115ea5e560e9.jpeg

Trying ha/Oiii split editing now. I linearly matched the Oiii to the ha. Seemed to make the Oiii less contrasty but only my first attempt so I'm probably wrong

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

little bit disapointed with my current m16 project. i liked the 1st dual narrow band results so i tried stacking that and my previous broadband sessions, but seemed to lose detail. i took more dnb data last night and combined that with the 1st dbn session and got the following. i've tried to make the pillars as contrasty as possible, but its not great. 

image.thumb.jpeg.a92769e885e1f9e0ab1bdedd6c088f65.jpeg

i've redone ngc 6992 (i got its name wrong) and i think this shows a tiny hint of some of the stuff that makes Sarek's recent image so amazing, so im happy im moving in the right direction. Need reasons (apart from cloud) to not try and repeat my 4 panel of the veil nebula tonight ....

image.thumb.jpeg.a089fe9f5d33bd0804367dc0e3a2fe08.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

i've redone ngc 6992 (i got its name wrong) and i think this shows a tiny hint of some of the stuff that makes Sarek's recent image so amazing, so im happy im moving in the right direction. Need reasons (apart from cloud) to not try and repeat my 4 panel of the veil nebula tonight ....

image.thumb.jpeg.a089fe9f5d33bd0804367dc0e3a2fe08.jpeg

That looks much better IMO..👏🏻

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

That looks much better IMO..👏🏻

ty for that and ty for your youtube review of this filter. i doubt i would have even known about it.  it does appear to be  optolong l-extreme alike, though i can't really tell :)

this version is HOO as far as i can tell, though i just used Oiii unmolested in both blue and green channels. Also, i didn't bother removing any gradient, as........ i couldn't really see any gradient :)

narrowband stars aren't great, but i don't hate them. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cfe554ffa97f3ecde6d1625c1d1ba3f6.jpeg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

this version is HOO as far as i can tell, though i just used Oiii unmolested in both blue and green channels. Also, i didn't bother removing any gradient, as........ i couldn't really see any gradient :)

narrowband stars aren't great, but i don't hate them. 

image.thumb.jpeg.cfe554ffa97f3ecde6d1625c1d1ba3f6.jpeg

Yes, those colours are even better and what you would expect from a HOO image, That is your best so far…👍🏻

• Like 1

I'd say you have come on quite a bit there Tiff.

I have to say that mono narrowband with RGB stars is the biggest pain in the butt I've ever tackled. I won't recommend mono yet

I'm missing the simplicity of dual narrowband OSC. I've spent around 4 hrs on trying to process the Crescent to get something half decent, and I'm about to throw the PC at the wall. .

First up, the rotation assist /Goto Sky atlas function on AsiAir was playing up. My frame rotation/center changed a few times between sessions/filters. When i used the frame match go-to on ASIAir, it would tell me i was adjusted OK and show same on SkyAtlas, but test frames were miles off. I had to eyeball it in the end, so there was a fair bit of cropping off when I registered separate stacks

Then there is the whole complication of stacking, manually registering, linear matching 5 separate sets of subs etc

And to cap it all, when i come to do RGB or Pixelmatch HOO combination, the result of around 5 hrs Ha and 4 hrs Oiii looks a mess. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, 900SL said:

I'd say you have come on quite a bit there Tiff.

I have to say that mono narrowband with RGB stars is the biggest pain in the butt I've ever tackled. I won't recommend mono yet

I'm missing the simplicity of dual narrowband OSC. I've spent around 4 hrs on trying to process the Crescent to get something half decent, and I'm about to throw the PC at the wall. .

First up, the rotation assist /Goto Sky atlas function on AsiAir was playing up. My frame rotation/center changed a few times between sessions/filters. When i used the frame match go-to on ASIAir, it would tell me i was adjusted OK and show same on SkyAtlas, but test frames were miles off. I had to eyeball it in the end, so there was a fair bit of cropping off when I registered separate stacks

Then there is the whole complication of stacking, manually registering, linear matching 5 separate sets of subs etc

And to cap it all, when i come to do RGB or Pixelmatch HOO combination, the result of around 5 hrs Ha and 4 hrs Oiii looks a mess. 

I think I misjudged how straightforward RGB stars and dnb background would be, so I'm avoiding it for now :)

I don't even want to imagine what RGB stars plus mono backgrounds would take.

my RGB stars are hardly fantastic so I'm ok with narrowband ones for now at least.

16 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I think I misjudged how straightforward RGB stars and dnb background would be, so I'm avoiding it for now :)

I don't even want to imagine what RGB stars plus mono backgrounds would take.

my RGB stars are hardly fantastic so I'm ok with narrowband ones for now at least.

Just a tip when you re combine the Ha and OIII and then remove the stars, before you add them back boost the saturation right up on them, and you will bring out some colour, then add them back in, I never use RGB stars with my narrowband images, taken with either OSC or MONO images..

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stuart1971 said:

Just a tip when you re combine the Ha and OIII and then remove the stars, beofre you add them back boost the saturation right up on them, and you will bring out some colour, then add them back in, I never use RGB stars with my narrowband images, from either OSC or MONO images..

i shall give it a try ty :)

1 minute ago, Stuart1971 said:

Just a tip when you re combine the Ha and OIII and then remove the stars, beofre you add them back boost the saturation right up on them, and you will bring out some colour, then add them back in, I never use RGB stars with my narrowband images, from either OSC or MONO images..

OK, trying it now

• Like 1