2nd solar image double stacked.

Dinglem

After yesterday's succesful attempt with my new solar setup and waking up to a very clear sky I attached the second Etalon to my scope and got the following result. Unfortunately I think the USB3 port on my laptop is going faulty as it kept breaking up so I plugged it into a USB2 port and didn't get as many frames, this is about 50% of them stacked in AS4, processed in PI using the Solar Toolbox script.

I'm really pleased with the results but any advice on getting better focus and processing would be appreciated. Is it possible to add an EAF to my Tak FS60C as I have a spare one?

Equipment used Solarquest mount, Tak FS60C, Solarscope 50mm doublestack filters and ASI174MM captured using Sharpcap

Sun_HA_29_07_2024_09-00_C.jpg

Sun_HA_29_07_2024_09-00.jpg

• Like 5

Cracking image, very nicely done 😎 I find that focus when double stacked is much trickier than when single stacked, partly because the image is much dimmer - although on my scope when visually observing, focus is no problem. It's just a case of taking time over the focus, and of course, atmospherics and seeing will play a role in how well you get the focus at any given time. That said, looking at these images, I don't think you have any worries over focus.

• Like 1

Nice images, and with a Double Stacked Solarscope system you'll probably not find anything better at that diameter.    Your present system gives you a Dawes limit of 2.32 arc-secs, but the pixel coverage (5.86 um)  is 3.40 arc-secs per pixel.  So it might be worth trying a 2x Barlow, or if you can borrow a camera with smaller pixels such as a 178 chip (2.4um pixels) to improve the resolution in moments of good seeing.

Cheers

Peter