NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I’m New

I have just received (free) a pair of 80x20 binoculars. Celestion. I know I need something to support them. I own a pair of 56x16 that I use and love for birding, but when I have put them on a tripod and tried to look at Jupiter I had a terrible time finding it. 

So I need a safe support (I’m thinking parallelogram) but I also need advice, how do I find stuff?

Hello. Usually I find it's good to cross reference with a stellarium, like, well the app stellarium or sky safari. You quickly get to learn the naked eye visible constellations. Jupiter becomes incredibly easy to find by eye once you know what to look for (a largish, bright, yellow ball of light), it's distinctive and can't be erroneously mistaken for a star even when using your own eyes.

39 minutes ago, Pondoro said:

I have just received (free) a pair of 80x20 binoculars. Celestion. I know I need something to support them. I own a pair of 56x16 that I use and love for birding, but when I have put them on a tripod and tried to look at Jupiter I had a terrible time finding it. 

So I need a safe support (I’m thinking parallelogram) but I also need advice, how do I find stuff?

Welcome to the forum.

There is an excellent search function, so just typing parallelogram in gives quite a few hits, such as this one in the DIY forum:

or reviews on the equipment reviews section:

https://stargazerslounge.com/forum/133-discussions-binoculars/

The website www.binocularsky.com is an excellent resource with lots of reviews and advice.

http://binocularsky.com

Please do just ask any questions you have, either in the Astro lounge or in the Binocular section and I’m sure you will get some good advice.

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Hello. Usually I find it's good to cross reference with a stellarium, like, well the app stellarium or sky safari. You quickly get to learn the naked eye visible constellations. Jupiter becomes incredibly easy to find by eye once you know what to look for (a largish, bright, yellow ball of light), it's distinctive and can't be erroneously mistaken for a star even when using your own eyes.

I can find Jupiter with my naked eye quite easily. But finding it in my 16x binoculars was tough. Likewise many stars. I assume 20x will be worse. 

Finding it with binos is quite easy, I've done it at a dark site where you can see hundreds of stars naked eye, so many it's actually difficult finding the pole star.

Holding them in place is another matter and requires a tripod either with a handle for pointing control, or actual slow motion controls or a specific mount for binos as you've requested. Tripod should also be sturdy enough to dampen virbrations quickly as movement is the enemy for a comfortable finding and viewing experience.

Edited by Elp

Welcome to SGL Pondoro! 

If you have some basic DIY skills and tools it isn't at all hard to build a parallelogram mount such as the one in stu's link above. I suspect once you have the binoculars mounted securely finding things will get easier.

If you go for a normal tripod head instead of a parallelogram be aware that viewing at higher elevations is very uncomfortable on the neck. 

Hello Pondoro and welcome to the site. I use this and it works extremely well, its designed for cameras but I just turned the mount part upside down. Not sure if this mount is available in America but you must be able to find something similar. All the best.

Binosonmount.thumb.jpg.080bf537679d0f38d3c7628a683eeea2.jpg