clouds im my subs?

after an extremely zealous cull of my bad subs from my last session, i stack the result and get this washed out mess (after a starnet)

image.thumb.jpeg.dca0cf3ab5534fe767155f7d992179a7.jpeg

skimming through those remaining subs in dss, i can't see any cloud streaks, but i think maybe there was a thin layer of cloud causing this? the only way i can think of to try to cull more subs is by the background%. how much is too much? i think in other images im reasonably ok with, its around 1.4% ish. is that ok to aim for or lower still?

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

This is the kind of image I would expect. There is plenty of dust and nebulous matter around this region as we are looking into our own galaxy. I am assuming you have extracted the background.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

This is the kind of image I would expect. There is plenty of dust and nebulous matter around this region as we are looking into our own galaxy. I am assuming you have extracted the background.

yeah but if i compare it to a previous session of same target, its very washed out. im culling some more lights and giving it another go. if its ok then, ill try combining with the other session and a half ;) i have on same target. if not ill just forget this session ever happened. 

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

42 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

if i compare it to a previous session of same target, its very washed out.

Were the 2 images taken during different moon phases?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AstroMuni said:

Were the 2 images taken during different moon phases?

this session was taken as an almost full moon came up. previous session was with no moon. i should have known better. hopefully, now i do.

not much chance of clear sky AND no moon between now and end of july though :(

this problem would be either not noticeable, or very much reduced if i was narrowband right ?

thanks for the help. don't worry about this for now. im gonna do one more test and then forget about this session, see what happens if i get another session :) im wondering if it could be my flats i took for this session. gonna try slightly older ones.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Depending on how much time was remaining you'd also have a lack of detail due to time.

Imaging whilst the moon is out without a filter isn't normally wise for OSC imaging, if you've ever been to a dark site you'll see the effect in stark detail, the moon washes out a lot of the sky even at 50pc illumination. Even at low illumination it can cause the difference between seeing the milky way naked eye and not. Add into it the lack of astronomical darkness and your contrast will be severely lacking.

A OSC narrowband filter will help a lot, you'll wonder how you ever did without one. Still a bit limited if the moon is near your target though, fairly okay if it's in the next quadrant of sky or further away, depends on how the filter deals with skyglow light sources (IE nearby lights casting a glow near but not directly in the FOV).

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Elp said:

Depending on how much time was remaining you'd also have a lack of detail due to time.

Imaging whilst the moon is out without a filter isn't normally wise for OSC imaging, if you've ever been to a dark site you'll see the effect in stark detail, the moon washes out a lot of the sky even at 50pc illumination. Even at low illumination it can cause the difference between seeing the milky way naked eye and not. Add into it the lack of astronomical darkness and your contrast will be severely lacking.

A OSC narrowband filter will help a lot, you'll wonder how you ever did without one. Still a bit limited if the moon is near your target though, fairly okay if it's in the next quadrant of sky or further away, depends on how the filter deals with skyglow light sources (IE nearby lights casting a glow near but not directly in the FOV).

yeah i should be able to do Ha with moon out but not really the Oiii. still, gather Ha wouldn't be a bad thing i guess.

i just mashed the least worse subs from all 4ish sessions together just now. looked very blue/noisy. then looked at histogram and blue was over to the right. im still experimenting, but just moving blue back to the left a bit makes it look a lot better :)

ok, this image is 14040 seconds of variable quality subs, moon light, etc, etc.

its not good, but it is better than previous versions with lower total integration time. i think. in the top left there is a mild hint of 3d ness. if i look very hard :)

not sure i'll get another 22000 seconds of subs before end of july though....

image.thumb.jpeg.70c6cef53955c22d5aa9690ec7be27a4.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

its very washed out.

p4.thumb.png.b3b13ef659a99a4904fe0763834b588d.png

All it seems you've done is remove the stars, so it's not really surprising. Why not process to make it look better? Even with a screen grab of your screen grab, something a little better emerges even with just one stab at a GHS symmetry point and stretch. Your full resolution stack should yield loadsa stuff, especially if you include the star structure too.

p3b.jpg.18bb4c9578b16f2d1d03bbc2db301e51.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, alacant said:

p4.thumb.png.b3b13ef659a99a4904fe0763834b588d.png

All it seems you've done is remove the stars, so it's not really surprising. Why not process to make it look better? Even with a screen grab of your screen grab, something a little better emerges even with just one stab at a GHS symmetry point and stretch. Your full resolution stack should yield loadsa stuff, especially if you include the star structure too.

p3b.jpg.18bb4c9578b16f2d1d03bbc2db301e51.jpg

ty for this, i've put an improved version above. i think your version looks a bit too stretched, maybe? i've been messing with this for 2 days now, i think i need to step away from it for a little while and see how it looks after a couple of days :)

27 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

your version looks a bit too stretched

I claim ignorance. I had only a starless screenshot as data!

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, alacant said:

I claim ignorance. I had only a starless screenshot as data!

also up and right of the brain is what looks like a stamp ?

did i discover a space stamp of quality? im prepared to share credit for the discovery :)