NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Takahashi FC100-DZ v Prinz (Kenko) 660

As I am getting OWS (observing withdrawal symptoms) I decided to compare the views through the Takahashi 100mm F/8 Fluorite doublet and the Kenko 76mm F/16.4 Achromat at x150 on a distant roof chimney and aerial.

The views through the Tak were slightly brighter, slightly sharper and had slightly more contrast.

BUT the purchase price difference is enormous !

I do suspect the Kenko would give a 76mm Tak a very close run for the money.

However I suspect the Tak’s would give less image breakdown at higher powers compared to the Kenko.

These old school long focal ratio scopes are great πŸ™‚

Β 

Β 

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Alan White said:

Interesting outcome, shows how slight increments can be a tad expensive.

Yes, but also the modern 76mm telescopes are around half the length of the Kenko, so you pay for that too.

Edited by dweller25

39 minutes ago, Emperor!Takahashi! said:

I'm glad I went with the Tak. I get disappointed when roof chimneys lack even a little contrast or sharpness.

You are missing the pointing πŸ™‚

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

You are missing the pointing πŸ™‚

I was just being intentionally obtuse. That aside, I agree that the long-focus refractors can be wonderful observing instruments. I think older long-focus reflectors are also undervalued these days. It's nice when such instruments are rediscovered by those who can appreciate them.

1 hour ago, Emperor!Takahashi! said:

I was just being intentionally obtuse. That aside, I agree that the long-focus refractors can be wonderful observing instruments. I think older long-focus reflectors are also undervalued these days. It's nice when such instruments are rediscovered by those who can appreciate them.

Oh dear, you missed the (admittedly bad) joke !
Chimneys β€” Pointing πŸ‘
IMG_1866.jpeg.ff68eb51f09e7942d03aefdd762e92d1.jpeg

Β 

Edited by dweller25
  • Haha 1