Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

To go or not to go...? The Astrotrac saga

It’s turned out that I have been more of a visual astronomer since the birth of little V.

I am now not getting the change to venture out much further than the Back garden these days (not that I am complaining of course)

Last night I really thought hard about my reasoning for having the Astrotrac, I wanted a portable imaging platform that I could take to darker sites. How having children changes things...

My dilemma is this, I still enjoy dabbling with the imaging thing but time is a factor, and it’s a factor that’s just not in my control at the moment. I also miss having a stable visual platform.

More recently I find myself getting the Megrez out and just looking into space... Another factor is the money I have invested in the new eyepieces. This has dramatically influenced my chosen activities. Since getting the Ethos13 all I want to do is stick my head in the thing. This brings me back to the point of the thread. The Astrotrac and Manfrotto kit is the only mount I own currently. I just can’t afford to purchase the HEQ5/EQ6 Pro in addition. My head is telling me to move back to a more substantial mount again. With the HEQ5/EQ6 Pro I can continue to try my hand at imaging and it will provide me with a much more suitable visual platform.

I have reluctantly listed it on ABS and I will be posting it on this site shortly.

I think I have really answered my own question but I would appreciate any thoughts. :)

I know exactly waht you mean regarding children. I find having a family does tie you down to backyard astronomy only.

I would sell Astrtrac and but a nice EQ6 to go with your WO. You then have a fantastic visual/AP set up.

I would have thought with time being more precious the short set up time of the Astrotrac would be more relevent. You could stick the Megrez on the astrotrac and either use it for imaging or as a visual tracking platform.

I use my Astrotrac in my back garden when ever the weather is a bit iffy as it can be picked up and brought back in easily.

Regards

Kevin

I use my Astrotrac in my back garden when ever the weather is a bit iffy as it can be picked up and brought back in easily.

I find that the Astrotrac is fantastic for just that point. That is one of the things that plays on my mind. A heaver mount will not be as quick to setup. But it will provide the more stable platform for visual/imaging. It can take up to 10 or so seconds to calm down with the Megrez, DSLR & extension tubes on the back.

Perhaps with a more substantial tripod it may be better.

You could try putting an eyelet into the ground and using a bungy to tension the tripod into the ground.

I managed to find a second hand Tal pier that had a fitting for a 3/8th bolt and then fit a tripod head to it. This provides a very sturdy base for home and star party use.

Regards

Kevin

I managed to fing a second hand Tal pier that had a fitting for a 3/8th bolt and then fit a tripod head to it. This provides a very sturdy base for home and star party use.

That's a good shout Kevin. Food for thought.

I did see astrotrac themselves were launching a new pier option. Very expensive for what it is though.

Lee.

Archived