NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M27 Outer Shells

In an effort to bring out the faint outer shells of the Dumbell Nebula I may have stretched this image a bit too far for the limited data captured. Cloud and haze eventually stopped play, but decided to post anyway for those that might be interested.

Skywatcher 150 ED Pro at F/6.8

ZWO 6200 MC Pro

Optolong L-Enhance filter

32 x 60 sec at gain 400

Processed in DSS and Photoshop

2024-07-18 M27 ole 60s.jpg

• Like 15

53 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I am certainly interested. I believe it is an excellent photo of M27 - very well done.

Thank you. Been struggling for a long time to record those outer shells, so I am pleased to have succeeded and glad you like my image.

19 minutes ago, Albir phil said:

Don't think you over done it great image some nice detail,like it 🫡

Thank you, no need for me to be concerned then, glad you like it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elp said:

You must have some really dark skies to achieve such in 30 mins.

My skies are bortle 4, dark enough to image without filters if I choose. But it is so often cloudy or hazy that I have had to learn how to grab what data I can between clouds and then stretch it to its limits. Oh to be able to spend 10 hours on a single target !

Wow, you’ve got the outer shells with such a short time, at f/7, and without astrodark? Very nice! I like the small patchy areas of Ha dotted around too. 

This one’s on my list at some point, also being in bortle 4 your image gives me hope and inspiration that I can do the same 🙂 

10 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Wow, you’ve got the outer shells with such a short time, at f/7, and without astrodark? Very nice! I like the small patchy areas of Ha dotted around too. 

This one’s on my list at some point, also being in bortle 4 your image gives me hope and inspiration that I can do the same 🙂 

So glad I've given you hope and inspiration. I've been after a shot like this for years, so yes it is possible, and only using photoshop for processing. Go for it and I wish you the very best of luck.

• Like 1

Wow Roy, yesterday I was enjoying your lunar mosaic and today this… many of many talents!

wonderful tight round starts right to the corners, was it cropped much or does the Big frac perform that well with the big sensor? 

1 hour ago, CraigT82 said:

Wow Roy, yesterday I was enjoying your lunar mosaic and today this… many of many talents!

wonderful tight round starts right to the corners, was it cropped much or does the Big frac perform that well with the big sensor? 

Thank you so much for your words of appreciation, and glad you are impressed.  I'm mainly a DSO man but turn my hand to lunar during the springtime when the moon dominates the evening sky.

That 150ED with its 0.85 reducer does produce nice round stars right to the corners of a full frame sensor with virtually no colour halos, not bad for a doublet.

My image was cropped to be square but is essentially the full height of the sensor. It amazes me how much light passes through this scope, as I shot M27 through a C11 Edge at F/7 for the same exposure length and the outer shells were only just starting to record!

Refractor magic !

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roy Foreman said:

Thank you so much for your words of appreciation, and glad you are impressed.  I'm mainly a DSO man but turn my hand to lunar during the springtime when the moon dominates the evening sky.

That 150ED with its 0.85 reducer does produce nice round stars right to the corners of a full frame sensor with virtually no colour halos, not bad for a doublet.

My image was cropped to be square but is essentially the full height of the sensor. It amazes me how much light passes through this scope, as I shot M27 through a C11 Edge at F/7 for the same exposure length and the outer shells were only just starting to record!

Refractor magic !

Well then that is a great advertisement for the big Sky-Watcher frac. And you’ve obviously got your rig and imaging train dialled in just right. 

• Thanks 1