NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tripods with levelling bowls for astrophotography

I'm looking to rationalise my collection of tripods. Apart from my 3 photo tripods I have a Skywatcher stainless steel tripod

Sky-Watcher Stainless Steel 1.75" Tripod with 3/8" thread | First Light Optics

Because of my back and strength issues this is to heavy for me to move with confidence. I've just bought a used Star Adventurer GTi which came with a Skywatcher tripod that I'm not keen on.

I've seen one of these Innorel tripods

INNOREL RT80C Carbon Fiber Bowl Tripod 160cm/63in, Twist Lock Professional Heavy Duty Camera Tripod Ultra Stable Max Tube 32mm Max Load 20kg, with 65mm Bowl Adapter/Stainless Spikes/Tripod Bag: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

which has a half bowl. I'm wondering if this would be suitable for use with an astrophotography mount albeit a light one like the SA GTi.

I use the 90 and the 364, with heavier mounts and even for visual. Both are excellent. Try to get the thickest leg section versions for best stability.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elp said:

I use the 90 and the 364, with heavier mounts and even for visual. Both are excellent. Try to get the thickest leg section versions for best stability.

Thanks, you don't find the levelling bowl a hindrance then (assuming you use it for levelling)?

8 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Thanks, you don't find the levelling bowl a hindrance then (assuming you use it for levelling)?

I've never used the levelling bowl, they come with the fixed plate already fitted and that's what I use. You don't need to level if polar aligning and doing equatorial, once PAd, that's it.

• Like 1

I have the Artcise AS88C - its possible it may be clonned as one of the tripods you mention.

I bought it for similar reasons you mention.  It has a 75mm bowl (plus a handle to move it and lock it in place if you want to use it) , load capacity is 36k/77lbs, max leg tube size 36mm. Weighs a little over 2k. Can't speak highly enough of it.  

Has spikes if you need them and a net slung  underneath for some kind of weight  if you need it, but I usei it for for  astro bits and bobss - weights not been necessary.

I use it with the Seestar, AZ5 with scopes  including an 80ED F6 doublet, a 103mm F7 triplet and a StellaMira 125mm ED doublet F7.8.

I bought it from Amazon over a year ago, costs £269.  It has a bag as well.  It's one of the best things I've ever bought.

Edited by paulastro
I don't use an AZ4 with the tripod, it's an M10 fitting of course - I would if I could find an adapter.
  • Thanks 1

I meant to mention, Artcise and Innovel had tripods very similiar when I was looking for one.  I found some helpful utube videos for both makes. You just need to check what comes with each one as it does vary.

I have the RTC90 and bought an extra plate for it. One is for the AM5 and another for the Dwarf/Seestar/Solarquest.  When I needed to add the option for my heavy Alt/Az Sabre mount I used the bowl instead of buying another plate and it works well.

The Sabre sits on a Geoptik EQ6/5 adapter and the bowl is under that, all tightens up nicely and makes the RTC90 a plug & play tripod for me.

• Like 1

If you're very patient they also come up on offer on rainforest site used, both mine were a bargain and near enough brand new condition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elp said:

If you're very patient they also come up on offer on rainforest site used, both mine were a bargain and near enough brand new condition.

The Innorel shop on eBay is cheaper than on Amazon for new items.

• Like 2