NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I recently purchased a Sightron Japan Alt-Azimuth Mount which has a 3/8" thread.

Looking at the berlebach uni 18, but which one has the 3/8" thread.

Screenshot_20240705-160423.thumb.png.19d81c6214573a0cbabce5f9a9d601a1.pngScreenshot_20240705-160311.thumb.png.e6ce0207ce7cc95a673639867aa0112d.png

The UNI-18 with flat-plate and 3/8" x 14mm I would expect. Last one on the FLO list of UNI-18 types.

If you are going to get it from FLO then you can always double check it before ordering.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

The UNI-18 with flat-plate and 3/8" x 14mm I would expect. Last one on the FLO list of UNI-18 types.

If you are going to get it from FLO then you can always double check it before ordering.

Flo seems to be alot more expensive then rvo.

I don't know how I missed the bottom one saying it clearly 

Edited by Dave scutt
  • Like 1

With the Sightron mount, a solid carbon fibre tripod is also a good option. Especially if you're using something like a 4" refractor, which isn't too heavy, and if you want to keep the setup light. I mounted a 4" refractor on the Sightron (and also the older Scopetech Zero) on this tripod with great results: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/stellalyra-carbon-fibre-tripod-with-38-thread.html It's a good, rigid tripod that complements the Sightron well.

The UNI is lovely, of course, but also considerably beefier (and more expensive). One might find it overkill for this purpose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Emperor!Takahashi! said:

With the Sightron mount, a solid carbon fibre tripod is also a good option. Especially if you're using something like a 4" refractor, which isn't too heavy, and if you want to keep the setup light. I mounted a 4" refractor on the Sightron (and also the older Scopetech Zero) on this tripod with great results: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/tripods/stellalyra-carbon-fibre-tripod-with-38-thread.html It's a good, rigid tripod that complements the Sightron well.

The UNI is lovely, of course, but also considerably beefier (and more expensive). One might find it overkill for this purpose.

Thanks Siddhesh, I was looking at that one earlier.

Did you use an extension pillar with the carbon fibre one 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

Thanks Siddhesh, I was looking at that one earlier.

Did you use an extension pillar with the carbon fibre one 

I didn't since it gets pretty tall. I think it wouldn't perform too well if there's strong wind. But otherwise, I think it will be quite solid even when the tripod is quite extended.

Another excellent option is the Vixen HAL 130 tripod. That would be rock solid with the Sightron and 4" refractor, and it's light and comparatively inexpensive. You would need an adapter (available here) though, since the tripod uses an M10 stud for use w/ certain Vixen mounts. There might be other, similar tripod adapters that don't need to ordered from Japan, but I am not sure. I recently ordered several things from that vendor, Kyoei, without any problems whatsoever. So, if you wanted, you could order the tripod and adapter at the same time from them (since they have a minimum order).

I like how the HAL 130 looks, too 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.f3c4aeaad26cd007e8d278f7bcc44e71.jpeg

f8fce91d-7734-4f70-a51e-5d7e76a16b61.jpg

Edited by Emperor!Takahashi!
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

It's cheaper if you buy from BB directly, even after duties. You can get the exact spec and colour you want too.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

Regarding the Uni 18 with just the 3/8" screw its sometimes referred to as a 'DM-6 fit'

All it is, is the flat 6" top plate, with the imperial 3/8" screw. AFAIK, its the only top plate which is completly flat. They are nice tripods. Ideally get the 'spread stopper' and tray as well. Well worth the extra.

• Like 1