NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO AM5 New version

Zwo AM5 has new version. New 2024 Version - AM5N

Improved for 2024:
New USB-C & DC 12v output ports on the mount saddle for improved cable management
New Bluetooth compatibility for improved connectivity
New base design eliminates azimuth locking knobs
Improved tracking with higher load angles & heavier payloads
Periodic error reduced from ±20 down to ±10 arcseconds

• Like 1

Interesting to note that some of these changes had already been made to the AM3:

• New Bluetooth button
  • Improved Azimuth (no locking levers)
  • Alt scale

From pictures I've seen that makes the 3rd iteration of the AM3 perhaps the next will get the power port changes.

If I am correct the first had Az locking levers, the second lost the locking levers and the third added the Bluetooth button. So anyone looking to buy the AM3 should check the for the Bluetooth button.

And f course why would anyone not go for the latest AM5 model unless older version was discounted.

I don't think there's enough change for me to lust after the new version - looks more of an evolution rather than a revolution.

I found the point on the reduced PE a little disingenuous after all of the previous data saying the PE specs were adequate to deliver good performance with guiding.  Mine's an early unit with less than stellar PE but it's been consistent around the <0.7" rms in average seeing and <0.5" in good seeing.  I don't doubt than any improvement in PE can be nothing other than a benefit but does it 'devalue' the older version? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martthebass said:

I don't think there's enough change for me to lust after the new version - looks more of an evolution rather than a revolution.

I found the point on the reduced PE a little disingenuous after all of the previous data saying the PE specs were adequate to deliver good performance with guiding.  Mine's an early unit with less than stellar PE but it's been consistent around the <0.7" rms in average seeing and <0.5" in good seeing.  I don't doubt than any improvement in PE can be nothing other than a benefit but does it 'devalue' the older version? 

No, because sufficient for current purpose is good enough.  It might be nice to know the PE is better given the slightly higher weight capacity might allow a slightly larger and longer focal length telescope to be used. Have ZWO said what the max F is with the AM5 N? 

• Like 2