Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil Nebula - Redcat 51 - HOORGB

Captured over two nights in RGB (3 hrs) and HOO (2.5 hrs).

I processed the captures separately before stripping out and saving the RGB Star Layer. I merged the HOO and RGB Starless images at 75/25 pct mix using Pixelmath before remerging the RGB Star Layer.

Processed in APP, PI and Photoshop (Using the usual RC X gubbins and GraXpert)

Redcat 51
Optolong L-Pro and l-eNhance
ASI294mc pro -10C Unity gain
EQ6-R Pro
SW 80ED PRo - guiding via ASIAIR Pro

Tony

Veil Redcat HOORGB.jpg

• Like 16

That’s really nice. Tried a similar approach but using SiriL with my Redcat51/533MCpro set up, just got around to processing the data last week.DDF65A03-D1BE-46A5-82B4-50B567F41F39.thumb.jpeg.fe62d458a91baeda49518e544f725db9.jpeg

• Like 3

On 14/06/2024 at 15:59, Martthebass said:

That’s really nice. Tried a similar approach but using SiriL with my Redcat51/533MCpro set up, just got around to processing the data last week.DDF65A03-D1BE-46A5-82B4-50B567F41F39.thumb.jpeg.fe62d458a91baeda49518e544f725db9.jpeg

im guessing this is cropped for a wide screen style aspect ratio from the square sensor? looks really, really nice.  love the 'wake' beneath the witche's broom part.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

noob question apologies, i know what the H and the first O in HOORGB is but what is the second O for ?

OIII applied to the blue channel.  The OIII line lies on the blue-green border, sometimes called 'Teal Blue.' On emission nebulae this will give a result very similar to RGB, so it's Ha-OIII-OIII.  It will differ from RGB, however, when there is reflection nebulosity which a blue filter will pass and which an OIII filter will mostly block.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ollypenrice said:

OIII applied to the blue channel.  The OIII line lies on the blue-green border, sometimes called 'Teal Blue.' On emission nebulae this will give a result very similar to RGB, so it's Ha-OIII-OIII.  It will differ from RGB, however, when there is reflection nebulosity which a blue filter will pass and which an OIII filter will mostly block.

Olly

ty :) i have been wondering about how the Ha and the Oiii could both be included with RGB to created a final image. i guess the green channel of Oiii will look different to the blue channell of Oiii? but it seems target/nebula dependant?

turns out im not keen on hubble palette and was wondering if there was a different way that i'd prefer. just a personal preference thing. cheers for the help again :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

ty :) i have been wondering about how the Ha and the Oiii could both be included with RGB to created a final image. i guess the green channel of Oiii will look different to the blue channell of Oiii? but it seems target/nebula dependant?

turns out im not keen on hubble palette and was wondering if there was a different way that i'd prefer. just a personal preference thing. cheers for the help again :)

Tony, the OP, will have his own answer to this.

In my case I create three Ps layers having added Ha to red already.

R/Ha  G/OIII  B

R/Ha  G         B/OIII

R/Ha  G         B

I can then weight the relative OIII contribution to G and B very easily, seeing the result in real time, using the opacity slider. I can also weight the overall contribution of the OIII in G and B  to the HaRGB at this stage or I can do that later.

Olly

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Tony, the OP, will have his own answer to this.

In my case I create three Ps layers having added Ha to red already.

R/Ha  G/OIII  B

R/Ha  G         B/OIII

R/Ha  G         B

I can then weight the relative OIII contribution to G and B very easily, seeing the result in real time, using the opacity slider. I can also weight the overall contribution of the OIII in G and B  to the HaRGB at this stage or I can do that later.

Olly

Don't want hijack thread anymore than I have  but think I've seen a siril pixel math video for this using 60/40 balance. Ta again 

• Like 1

I’d be more than willing to take Olly’s advice on this tbh, as I am still experimenting and trying different methods each time. 

In this particular case, I processed the two images separately, stripped out the star layers from both. Discarded the HOO star layer before merging the starless images, playing around with different percentage mixes in Pixelmath, before remerging the star layer (back in Photoshop). 

Tony

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mightymonoped said:

I’d be more than willing to take Olly’s advice on this tbh, as I am still experimenting and trying different methods each time. 

In this particular case, I processed the two images separately, stripped out the star layers from both. Discarded the HOO star layer before merging the starless images, playing around with different percentage mixes in Pixelmath, before remerging the star layer (back in Photoshop). 

Tony

you seem to be doing very nicely just "still experimenting" :) ty for the description, i assume you're using pixinsight not siril before photoshop?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

you seem to be doing very nicely just "still experimenting" :) ty for the description, i assume you're using pixinsight not siril before photoshop?

I tend to use horses for courses on the processing side. I have invested a lot of time in Astro Pixel Processor and still like to use it for stacking, registration and integration; particularly do when it comes to registering images from different scopes or mosaics. 

I’m starting to get to grips with PI, generally using the RC suite of tools, Bill Blanshan’s scripts and GHS. 

I tend to separate Starless and Star Layers in PI for stretching but do final finishing in Photoshop (particularly on Starless layer) for Saturation, Contrast and Sharpness. 

Finally, I remerge the Star Layer (which has already been reduced in PI. 

Tony

Edited by mightymonoped
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a quick go at using Bill Blanshan's NB Normalisation Tool to push the Oiii content on the Starless image  before using Colour Masking to bring out the Blue more.

Then a bit of GraXpert use to sort the background gradients before remerging the RGB stars using Screen in Photoshop.

Tony

Veil-RC51-HOORGB.jpeg

Edited by mightymonoped
  • Like 2