Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

F7 100ed on Skywatcher AZ5 with steel tripod

Forgive me, I’ve tried to find a definitive answer and a previous post on a different mount didn’t get very far! I’m looking for a manual mount to supplement my AZGti on nights when my time might be limited or I just fancy exploring. 

Does anyone use this set up and how does the mount cope?

The AZ5 is a reasonable mount, but light in construction.
For your scope type, of which I have similar and used many and more sturdy mount and tripod is nicer and more pleasant to use.
It depends on how much wobble from focus etc you are happy to accept.

I use a Rowan AZ75 on a 1.75 stainless tripod, but clearly budget and likely use will dictate if that is the one for you.

The problem of asking on mounts is like asking about eyepieces, everyone is different and likes different things.

I use my 100ED F7 refractor  with AZ5 mount head and it is fine at low powers. My tripod is an adapted surveyor aluminium tripod, so lighter than the steel one. I also own the steel tripod (for my EQ5 mount), that tripod will be very solid under the AZ5. Your main source of vibrations will be the mount head. An F7 100mm refractor is about 800mm long with dew shield and draw tube extended, With 2 inch diagonal and eyepieces this creates a large angular momentum force on the Altitude axis. Basically high powers (above x100) will be shaky, and of course they are the ones that require regular adjustment with the slow-mo knobs. Below x100 the views should be stable.  

Edited by Nik271

The AZ4 copes really nicely with  F7 102ed which is a slightly more stable mount than the AZ5. I recently upgraded to the AZ75 which is premium and holds the 4” without breaking sweat, it even hold an f7.5 125mm easy as you like too.