Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount

Morning all 

well I’ve only gone and done and pretty excited about the prospect I’ve got my name on the Astro- Physics 1100 GTO order list I know it might take 2 plus years for my name to come up but don’t mind , now I’m in a quandary what mount do I get until I get the 1100 GTO lol

• Like 6

I did spot an observatory class mount in the for sale section recently so they do come up from time to time. It went quite quickly so when your name gets near the top of the 1100 list you could always sell it on. All the best.

• Like 1

Elp I was thinking that but what one ? Or do I get something like a second hand premium mount so I know how to sky model etc when I get the 1100 

Posted (edited)

I've decided I'm fed up with CWs and balancing, there's little time to image as it is. Of course if it's a permanent setup then it's not an issue. I've got a ZWO AM3 and an ioptron hem15, both work great. The good thing about the ZWO ones including the larger AM5 is that you can rack them up to 90 degrees altitude, set it into alt az mode on power on, then use the app to goto targets and fine tune with the hand joystick, makes visual use a breeze. The ioptron however is smaller and lighter, and much quieter.

If you're looking at larger (and more cost) there's the Pegasus Nyx, there's a smaller one coming out in autumn as are the Skywatcher Waves, the smaller one of which can be dual scope mounted for visual alt az use. As for current availability, users are reporting great guiding performance of the Warp Astrons WD17 and WD20. Ioptron also do hybrids (Dec is traditional mechanism) hems, or haes for dual drive HDs. If you've got the money Rainbow have been doing small HDs for a few years before most others.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DaveG64 said:

Morning all 

well I’ve only gone and done and pretty excited about the prospect I’ve got my name on the Astro- Physics 1100 GTO order list I know it might take 2 plus years for my name to come up but don’t mind , now I’m in a quandary what mount do I get until I get the 1100 GTO lol

2 years should be plenty of time to plan and perfectly execute the required bank heist ;)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

You'd likely need to...

Similar to Rainbow class you'd have 10 Micron, Avalon, Paramount, Planewave, Hobym, JTW friction drive which is supposed to be excellent.

Edited by Elp

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go for ioptron cem70 until I get my AP 1100 as that way I will be very confident on balancing etc and by all accounts the ioptron isn’t to bad a mount especially if you don’t use the usb and power hub saddle I think a lot of people have had trouble those . I ordered it from FLO along with an extra counterweight just in case , I also ordered the ioptron 360 tri pier which was out of stock but all in now so will be getting Monday via DPD exciting times 

• Like 1

I'm hoping so Elp , I've got a question for people in the know , I've seen a lot of videos and comments about the balancing of the mount just what people did about dec balance I've got a Sesto senso 2 mounted on the telescope so I'm guessing this could throw the balance out what do people do in this situation 

With my C6 when imaging F6.3 reduced the setup is back heavy. What I've done is source a vixen clamp which has threaded holes in the base, I've then got a set of three 300g gimbal counterweights (used for videography rigs) which can be threaded together and into the vixen clamp and mounted under the dovetail up front.

Ioptrons sometimes also have a thread in the side of the saddle clamp for z balancing, they sell a kit for this purpose.

I didn't realise balance was that important that one would need a rail with weights on it, etc. etc.

It is conventional wisdom (also the balancing east heavy in RA) but with the premium mounts it should not an issue at all (ok, maybe an issue with friction drive mounts).

I assume OP is imaging so balance will be needed. It's likely the same with equivalent mounts but my experience with ioptrons is they're very smooth, and even a 1mm change in CW position can mean the difference between balanced and not, Ra balance is generally straightforward, Dec can be tricky if the dovetail isn't long enough for back heavy scopes.

With HD mounts with dual HDs you don't need to balance at all.

Edited by Elp