NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Quantum Telescope

If I'm not mistaken, as far as color goes it's more "when" that is questionable.

Heisenberg uncertainty relationship stands for time/energy - and since color is energy (wavelength) - then if you know when - you can't know color, but if you know the color, then you can't know when it's that color :D

• Like 1

Just now, Marvin Jenkins said:

Sounds like a free pass to say that what ever I type in the quantum world could be true. Turns out that 87.23950% of my calculations are made up on the spot.

But in the quantum world they may well be correct.

A free pass - that is exactly it, until of course it is not!  

Jimmy Cliff  sang "let your yes be yes and your no be no man " - he was no quantum physicist . But man he could sing :) 

Jim

1 minute ago, andrew s said:

All light based telescopes are quantum telescopes as photons are the most enigmatic of quantum particles. 

Regards Andrew 

i'd say neutrinos are even more enigmaticer than photons.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

We would need to build a new detector at CERN to decide  - The ENIGMANTIC Detector, I would love to read the funding bids for that one. 

Jim 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

While elusive and puzzling they don't have the range of behaviour of photons. 

However,  it's just a subjective option on my part.

Regards Andrew 

• Like 1

On 06/06/2024 at 20:41, saac said:

If quantum telescopes are possible will they come in bright red anodised finished?

You won't be able to tell until you unbox it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wimvb said:

The problem I have with entangled photons and other particles is, which is entangled with which?

I've heard of charmed or strange particles, but never saw a cute one :D

• Haha 2

Just now, vlaiv said:

If a particle is cute enough, some other particle is bound (pun!) to be charmed by it, and before you know it they won't be strangers anymore. After a few drinks, they will probably get entangled. The uncertainty is if that entanglement will last for a half life or just be a one night stand. According to Heisenberg, the energy they put into it may determine that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

There was Beauty, but I think it's now usually Bottom.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zermelo said:

There was Beauty, but I think it's now usually Bottom.

It looks like you're on Top of things.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2024 at 11:22, Ouroboros said:

Sorry, but I don’t think I understand exactly what you’re suggesting here.  As I understand it, entangled particles cannot be used to send information instantaneously from one place to another. 

At first I thought you were suggesting looking at entangled particles (photons presumably) arriving from a distant star system. Even accepting that some photons might be entangled, I am not clear that you can separate or distinguish entangled photons from the normal ones. Not with a detector at one end anyway. Maybe a proper physicist can help with that one.

Then I wondered whether you envisaged sending to the distant star system a probe capable of creating entangled particles, half of which would be directed towards earth.   Well, as already said, no information can be sent this way - including the instantaneous sending of images.  You might as well send the probe to take images to relay back. Assuming you’re willing to wait a few thousand years for the pics. 

Or maybe you were just having a laugh.😆 

No, I wasn't actually having a laugh. I just got carried away with an idea that seemed too good to be true.

I simply did not appreciate how readily an entanglement link could be broken when one end is forced.

Come to think of it, there would not even be a negative kind of signal since someone at the receiving end wouldn't know if the link was still in place or not.