NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Before purchase, check, check and check again!

Posted (edited)

I’ve just received an order from eBay of Baader solar film, I thought I’d buy a smaller than A4 size as it’s for my Dwarf2 filters.

Check out the picture below of the A4 paper upon which my order is placed, damn, I did not check properly on the size!

Now the gut wrenching bit. I paid £7.99 plus £1.89 postage. An A4 size would have set me back £29.99 post free!

I could have got 25 more of that piddly piece from that A4 sheet!

chaz

IMG_8129.jpeg

Edited by Chaz2b
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)

As a matter of interest , where exactly did it come from ?

Asking as it doesn't look like any piece of Baader Astrosolar Safety Film I've seen in the twelve years I've been using it , looks much thicker and duller in your picture like the Thousand Oaks Solarlite film .

I ask because there has been numerous reports of fake TO solar film being purchased from Amazon and the like of late , especially in the run-up to the recent eclipse , and it's not something that's worth scrimping on given the low price of genuine Baader film from any reputable astro dealer such as SGL's sponsors FLO , who are just down the road from you by the way ... 😉

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/solar-filters/baader-astrosolar-safety-film-nd-50.html

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)

When I first saw it I thought it was a post it note. Definitely not Baader film or any solar film I've had (Seymour film is black), unless you've imaged it at an angle to some reflection.

Always follow the wise adage, measure twice, cut once.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Elp said:

When I first saw it I thought it was a post it note. Definitely not Baader film or any solar film I've had (Seymour film is black), unless you've imaged it at an angle to some reflection.

Always follow the wise adage, measure twice, cut once.

The version I know is measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

See if eBay will grant you a return or refund for the item not being as described. That definitely looks like counterfeit film. DON'T use it for anything.

I wouldn't buy something as critical as solar film from a site as dodgy as eBay. Stick with FLO. Having a little extra isn't a bad problem.

Edited by Oscar23
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Xilman said:

The version I know is measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

Ah, but are you cutting left, centre or right of the chalk line?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yes it’s the real deal, sorry about the first photo, it had the protective covering they post it in, and it’s my own fault for not checking properly.

I’ve had Baader Solar film before so I know what it should look like and how it performs. I did check it against the Sun earlier and it is solar film.

IMG_8130.jpeg

• Like 1

I personally still wouldn't trust it, even if it looks right... maybe I'm paranoid? But you just never know with eBay.

You're technically not supposed to look through the film without a telescope, there is some minor residual UV/IR pass-through that the telescope's optics (be it reflective or refractive) and eyepiece glass absorb/scatter.