NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orwell Observatory Visit with BAA Historic Section

Posted (edited)

On the 18th May 2024, a week or so ago, I attended my first BAA Historic section meeting that was held in Ipswich, 
I believe I have already posted about it elsewhere, if not, attend a BAA meeting for a section that interests you, they are very interesting.

The evening of the meeting, the BAA had arranged a visit by out co-host for the event OASI and we got access to an wonderful old piece of Astronomy,
not not one of our regular forum members, but a super Observatory with a very fine Refractor inside.

The Tomline Refractor is about 10" aperture and f15 if memory is correct (so probably not), on an interesting cranked equatorial mount.
The dome is a wonder of indulgence, its Iron framed, Copper clad Mahogany Lined, it looks stunning, but clearly holds heat and will probably mess up seeing at times with the local heat retention.

TomlineRefractor.jpg

In 1848 Colonel George Tomline purchased Orwell Park.
Tomline, (a colonel only in a Lincolnshire militia regiment), had inherited enormous wealth from both parents, and was Eton educated.
He subsequently added many acres of surrounding land so that his estates finally amounted to 30,000 acres in Suffolk and a further 20,000 in Norfolk.

He had Orwell Park Mansion extensively remodelled and extended, but still lived mainly in London.
Tomline developed extensive business interests.

Tomline had a limited interest in Astronomy, a very fashionable science at the time.
As a Gentleman of enormous wealth, he could impress his guests by commissioning the Orwell Park Observatory in the early 1870s.}

The Architectof the observatory was John Macvicar Anderson, later president of RIBA (the Royal Institution of British Architects).

IMG_8550.thumb.jpeg.11ffb6115107e59aa7f415da3350865c.jpeg

Responsible for specification of scientific instruments in the observatory was Wilfrid Airy, civil engineer and second son of                       
the 7th Astronomer Royal, Sir George Biddell Airy. 

IMG_8551.thumb.jpeg.2df5687ef3820ee83a5bc2f3e46a3c06.jpeg

IMG_8552.thumb.jpeg.1ea6b0bc28bfba3a71ff1ba4665e5756.jpeg

So a building of note and an instrument from well known instrument making family.

Please note some of the above is lifted from the internet and has been edited and is not authored by myself.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 12

Thanks Alan for posting👍    My late cousin Ken was a member of OASI and when I visited years ago the 10” refractor was available for use.  A clear night followed and the queue to use the scope was very long and extended down the stairs……of course I just had to join it for a once only chance of a peek.   Saturn was not well placed being not far above the eastern horizon and the moon was also low.

But a night to remember, that large refractor a stunning sight in the dome.

Sadly Ken died young and is greatly missed by all who had the privilege to know him.

Ed.

• Like 2