NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decision on Pulsar dome treatment - advice please

9 hours ago, Cleetus said:

Looks really good. The second picture is what it looked like before doing anything or after sanding down? How did you apply the finish? Are those hasps original? I replaced mine with a pair of galvanised hasps as the Pulsar ones rusted quite quickly.

I have now decided to change all the wheels on my dome as they are almost worn. Will also have to think about the shutter as it can be quite sticky at times. There is no pulley on mine so might invest in one of those as well.

No sanding down. Just a pressure wash.

Hasps are original. 

I replaced the wheels 3 or 4 years ago and the original ones were break up (not so much worn as the plastic having deteriorated and become brittle).

Note this is the original 2.1m dome, not the more recent 2.2m. The gel coat was never especially good: the were a few imperfections in it when delivered in June 2004.

It might be a good idea to move the observatory to a more cloudy and rainy climate.

This endless UK sunshine plays havoc with GRP etc...

• Haha 2

Thanks Jeremy. My dome is approx 25 years old so I haven't done bad with the wheels really. Bought it at Kelling Heath. The walls came in three parts which I thought was a good idea.

I thought you had sanded it down as it looked so bleak in that picture. I would imagine Pulsar have now ironed out some of the kinks with the originals. Looking forward to getting everything in place for the autumn when the planets come back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cleetus said:

Thanks Jeremy. My dome is approx 25 years old so I haven't done bad with the wheels really. Bought it at Kelling Heath. The walls came in three parts which I thought was a good idea.

I thought you had sanded it down as it looked so bleak in that picture. I would imagine Pulsar have now ironed out some of the kinks with the originals. Looking forward to getting everything in place for the autumn when the planets come back.

I asked Pulsar about replacement wheels but they said the original ones were no longer available so I ordered some off the internet. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...