Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What tripod and mount do you use for visual viewing and why?

For visual, a Vixen SP and a Vixen GP2 (the latter recently acquired from Stu - thanks). Both with RA drive. They easily take a Tal 100RS and a Tal 150P.  Tripod for the SP is a Vixen original hub with wooden legs. The GP2 is on an EQ3 tripod which works but is the weakest link. Hoping to upgrade to wooden legs.

• Like 2

I use an AZ-EQ6 mount on its 2" Stainless steel tripod. I know that it's a heavy mount but I don't mind as I love it for high magnification planetary observing and imaging. I will be adding a > 120mm apo refractor shortly to my kit so I will be needing a pier extension for it. I am also intending to purchase a Berlebach tripod for it , probably either a Planet or Uni. I much prefer EQ mounts although the alt/az setup of my 10" Synscan dobsonian is growing on me.

IMG_20240525_185058_526.thumb.jpg.0871bde0832896cf68dd4e404b6782cc.jpg

• Like 3

I'm currently using my gem28 when I can actually get out with the 102ed.  I'm not a fan of go to but I really like tracking for observing as I can faff and sketch to my hearts content.

I do like manual with slow mo, but the az5 is a bit on the puny side for the scope.

What I really want/need is either @Mr Spock's setup or something like the AZ-gti with Pushto and tracking that is capable of handling the 102ed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratlet said:

something like the AZ-gti with Pushto and tracking that is capable of handling the 102ed.

If you've got the funds you'd like an am3/5. My last solar session was done in the alt az mode, roughly north aligned then use the app to goto. Then do fine slewing via the joystick which can be speed adjusted.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 25/05/2024 at 09:10, woldsman said:

For visual, a Vixen SP and a Vixen GP2 (the latter recently acquired from Stu - thanks). Both with RA drive. They easily take a Tal 100RS and a Tal 150P.  Tripod for the SP is a Vixen original hub with wooden legs. The GP2 is on an EQ3 tripod which works but is the weakest link. Hoping to upgrade to wooden legs.

Wooden tripod  legs fitted to the GP2 as well this weekend - ready for visual!

IMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.85d61512f500dd76097e2a846cc7d5d6.jpeg

Edited by woldsman
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, woldsman said:

Wooden tripod  legs fitted to the GP2 as well this weekend - ready for visual!

IMG_1325.thumb.jpeg.85d61512f500dd76097e2a846cc7d5d6.jpeg

and the absolutely vital cushion for the observing chair!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

and the absolutely vital cushion for the observing chair!

My partner made it - & NOT for the observing chair. But… 

• Haha 1