NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M57 - the Liverpool Telescope data revisited

Posted (edited)

Back in 2017 I discovered the free data treasure of the Liverpool Telescope, a 2 meter reflector in the Canary Islands (https://telescope.livjm.ac.uk/). The data was (and probably still is) freely available on their site although rather unsorted so half the job was finding subs spread out over time in their data base.

Now 7 years later I decided to have a go at reprocessing some of the images (using the data I downloaded in 2017) and subjecting them to the new XTerminator tools.

Here is my first reprocess, and the stacked files for anyone that wants to have a go at it.

Cheers, Göran

My 2017 version:

LTM57HaRGBPS36smallSign.thumb.jpg.a3ab548cb24a4eb290b9066d31cd1bcb.jpg

My 2024 version:

LTM57HaRGBPS2sign.thumb.jpg.0df597aecc51f40fd333e0e16f6e49b9.jpg

The stacked files (HaRGB):

LT M57 G.tif LT M57 B.tif LT M57 Ha.tif

LT M57 R.tif

Edited by gorann
  • Like 12

I just tried to process the Manchester City Telescope data, expecting to find even better source to process.

The website said plod are currently investigating 115 sub exposures for financial irregularities ;)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gorann said:

Back in 2017 I discovered the free data treasure of the Liverpool Telescope, a 2 meter reflector in the Canary Islands (https://telescope.livjm.ac.uk/). The data was (and probably still is) freely available on their site although rather unsorted so half the job was finding subs spread out over time in their data base.

Now 7 years later I decided to have a go at reprocessing some of the images (using the data I downloaded in 2017) and subjecting them to the new XTerminator tools.

Here is my first reprocess.

Cheers, Göran

My 2017 version:

My 2024 version:

LT M57 HaRGB PS36smallSign.jpg

LT M57 HaRGB PS2sign.jpg

Your result is even better than the original.

Not sure about the half swastika satellite galaxy in the top left?

Actually 2/3rds Manx flag galaxy sounds more contemporary ;)

5 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

I just tried to process the Manchester City Telescope data, expecting to find even better source to process.

The website said plod are currently investigating 115 sub exposures for financial irregularities ;)

You’ll never image alone…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, tomato said:

You’ll never image alone…

He he. If you want to have a go at the M57 data I now added the stacked files to the post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, skyhog said:

incredible stuff Göran. 

I have to say, modern imaging can actually make very familiar objects look anything but at first glance.  

Thanks and I agree

Cs Göran