Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZEQ6 RA can not be moved by hand when clutch released

Hi everybody

For nearly 8 years my trusty astro setup was in the observatory doing great work. Now i am switching equipment and wanted to manually balance the mount.

When releasing the DEC clutch initially it could not be moved, only after a few taps did it release and i was able to move it around freely.

However RA seems unbelievably stuck. i opened the clutch far more than ever necessary, but it will not move. Moving with motor is no problem. Even with clutch released it can hold a huge weight. I suspect the many years of clutch engaged somehow glued those 2 surfaces together. Rust maybe?

Anybody can confirm this suspicon and anybody got a sensible suggestion how to fix it?

My next approach would be a hammer and a few well placed taps, but wanted to see if there is any knowledge or experience out there about this issue.

Any help greatly appreciated!

There is usually some sort of pad between the clutch lever and the RA shaft to protect the shaft being marred .  Your symptoms suggest that although the lever is released, the pad remains jammed.

The clutch on an AZ-EQ6 is a big friction disk that gets squeezed between the RA gear and the axle when the clutch is locked, but should release when open. It sounds like its just stuck in place after years of use. Its a kind of soft material so it could have fused in between and gotten mangled.

Safest fix would be to open up the mount, and you might as well replace the bearings inside if you have it gutted anyway.

If you dont want to open the mount i have an alternate idea. Loosen up the allen head screws that hold the upper part of the mount to the lower, but dont take them out fully. Remove the polar scope and and loosen the clutch way more than you usually would (a couple full revolutions). Give the locknut under the polar scope a good whack with something soft like a rubber mallet and see if the clutch is released. Its possible you have rust or dried lubricant in there that will need to be taken care of, but try this anyway.

I would advice against using force in the direction of the axles movement, since you could just mangle the stuck clutch disk even more.

Thank you both for your advice. I'll be travelling to the observatory tomorrow and see what i can do. I did try to apply some force in the RA direction, but not more than a heavy unbalanced telescope setup would do.

Will keep you posted.