Registax File Load Issue

I have tried on several occasions to use Registax6 for lunar processing but, whenever I go to upload the data to start work, I keep getting the message "UNABLE TO LOAD" in the right side of the file selection box.

I have checked that Video is selected as the data source type.

The data is recorded using bot ZWO ASI290MC and AI533MCPRO.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks.

These days Registax is generally only employed for its still superb "Wavelets" function .

For the stacking procedure the go-to is AutoStakkert  , probably V4 now though I found nothing in the new version for me that AS!3 doesn't do.

• Like 1

Thanks folks.

I take it then, that I just upload the Autostakkert product to Registax and bypass the first few steps until I get to wavelets?

Remember at the end of stacking to save the stack as a TIFF file , the default is PNG and Uncle Reg doesn't like them I found.

When you open the file in Registax , I'm still using V5.1 as again I found the update offered nothing special , it will automatically take you to the Wavelets step so no navigation needed.

As Peter suggested above Chris Garry's "PIPP" software is well worth downloading.

I use it as my first port of call as it will 'Centre and Crop' the source files to reduce the data that AS!3/4 has to deal and eliminate any movement across the sensor from capture (even with close-ups and crescent moons)  making stacking faster , and it will also quality check the frames beforehand so that only the best ones (a percentage/# of your choosing) get to the stacking software to start with , again reducing time in the stacking.

You'll need to go here for the PIPP software as Chris' site's download page has been unobtainable for some time now.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230531163522/https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/downloads

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's my sequence also. PIP initially to stabilise and eliminate poor frames then AS4 for stacking and percentage of best frames to stack and finally Registax for the wavelets. I have also started using Astro surface which can do it all however I only use it for final sharpening.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

That's my sequence also. PIP initially to stabilise and eliminate poor frames then AS4 for stacking and percentage of best frames to stack and finally Registax for the wavelets. I have also started using Astro surface which can do it all however I only use it for final sharpening.

My final tweaks I do over in Gimp .

Elimination of hot pixels , elimination of dust bunnies , a blend of Gaussian Blur and Unsharp Mask for final appearance , Levels adjustment and final Colouring and Inverting . 

One tip for the Wavelets that most folk miss , I only ever use the top two sliders to sharpen for my full discs. 

To start my first move is to take sliders 1:1 , 3:1 , 4:1 , 5:1 and 6:1 all the way over to the left to -5.0.

Only then do I start to gradually take slider 2:1 to the right , increasing gently until the fine detail starts to emerge , it's a bit like watching the view come into focus at the eyepiece.

When I see detail start to emerge I then very gently start to increase slider 1:1 and then it's a matter of juggling the two until it looks 'right' to my eye.

A surefire way of checking if you've overcooked the sharpening is to watch the very edge of the disc , if it develops an obvious hard white rim then it's time to back off the sliders until it disappears.

Unfortunately there's no magic formula that works every day , there is the option at the bottom right of the Wavelets box to "Save Scheme" which remembers the settngs used for next time , but I'll almost guarantee that the next day's data will be a little different and the 'recipe' will not quite work.

But it's a great thing to use if you're doing a Lunar mosaic for instance when you want every panel to be as similar as possible before stitching.

• Like 1