Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Aurora Over Rural Gloucester

What a night that was, clear skies usually reserved for imaging and sitting indoors or sleeping, resulted in the scope being forgotten about and just observing a spectacular display of the Aurora.

What started out as a clear evening, with the scope set up ready, rapidly turned into cloud that even obscured the Moon from view. But then Aurora alerts came in, and sure enough as it went dark, so the clouds cleared and we were treated to an all night display. It did not stop until I came in at 3:30. Even then the sky was full of magnificent colours but none of the activity.

What looked to me like milky clouds with dark risers and dark red hues, was in fact the Aurora happening, and having never seen it before, it was a magical night to never be forgotten.

Here’s a bit of a photo dump, showing the various colours experienced throughout the entire night. Including 1 image with a meteor and a few with the setting crescent Moon.

Canon 77d with EFS 10-18mm at 10mm, f4.5. Generally 12-15s exposures due to the slow(ish) aperture.

IMG_1746_Original.jpeg

IMG_1750_Original.jpeg

IMG_1756_Original.jpeg

IMG_1757_Original.jpeg

IMG_1758_Original.jpeg

IMG_1772_Original.jpeg

IMG_1773_Original.jpeg

IMG_1776_Original.jpeg

IMG_1782_Original.jpeg

IMG_1784_Original.jpeg

IMG_1808_Original.jpeg

IMG_1880_Original.jpeg

IMG_1920_Original.jpeg

IMG_1948_Original.jpeg

IMG_1954_Original.jpeg

IMG_1969_Original.jpeg

IMG_1997_Original.jpeg

IMG_1998_Original.jpeg

• Like 17

Can't believe the weather actually let us view this. Next chance seems Monday, but probably cloudy. Best display I've seen since the 80s

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, scotty1 said:

Can't believe the weather actually let us view this. Next chance seems Monday, but probably cloudy. Best display I've seen since the 80s

Ha, so true about the weather! For all our moaning this year, it cleared up for this. It’s almost like the universe is apologising and gave us this display to make up for it.

Where did you hear that Monday will be the next best chance?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On Space weather another CME could arrive Monday. 

https://www.spaceweather.com/

I Think the display in the 80s was slightly better I remember more red curtains changing shape, but that maybe because there was probably less light pollution then. 

Edited by scotty1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/05/2024 at 06:36, AstroNebulee said:

Beautiful images congratulations. 👌 Very much like war of the world's with the Aurora red skies lit up. 

What an amazing night. 

Clear skies 

Lee 

Thanks for your kind words Lee, it certainly was!

On 18/05/2024 at 12:59, FenlandPaul said:

Sensational set of pictures - nice one. What a night!!

Thanks Paul, appreciate your kind words 🙂

• Like 2