Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Major Aurora display over Delabole North Cornwall 10-11/5/24

Posted (edited)

The major part of the Aurora storm timelapse last night at 11.23pm with a setting moon in the bottom left.
Such a mind blowing breathtaking event to actually see naked eye visibility, maybe once in a lifetime experience here in Delabole, North Cornwall of this magnitude who knows? Sitting watching the display watching in amazement and listening to people in the fields watching and witnessing this was surreal. 
It was still going on albeit faintly when I left at  1.45am.
It is a pity I didn't have a wide enough lens but 14mm on a Canon 600D was the best I had. The Aurora was going from west to east, which is a huge area to cover.
I will be working on some still images to come.
I hope everyone who captured and saw the Auroa enjoyed it and marveled in the wonder of what was happening 😊.

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 17

12 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

It was still going on albeit faintly when I left at  1.45am

It picked up again later, about 3ish we had another incredible display. What a night, wasn’t it. Great video Lee, really shows off the display well. Did you capture this on your 600D? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

It picked up again later, about 3ish we had another incredible display. What a night, wasn’t it. Great video Lee, really shows off the display well. Did you capture this on your 600D? 

I heard a lot still capturing around 3am too. It didn't really stop all night did it. I'm pleased you got it 😁. Yes I was taken with my Canon 600D and Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens. 

4 hours ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Fantastic. The setting Moon helps me place this in time, love the way it turns into a crescent through the cloud as it reaches the horizon.

Thank you, I agree, getting the moon in shot was a bonus too. 

Clear skies 

Lee 

3 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I heard a lot still capturing around 3am too. It didn't really stop all night did it. I'm pleased you got it 😁. Yes I was taken with my Canon 600D and Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens. 

Stupidly I was so caught up in snapping photos that it didn’t occur to me to try videoing it 🤦‍♂️ Although my lens is slow at f4.5, what you have there is brilliant 👏 

I’m well chuffed to see and photo it, but even more so for you and anyone else further south. 

Just catching up on SGL and well, Lee, WOW!! What an epic timelapse!! Really shows how the display built and then exploded. Awesome, and all from my favourite county in the U.K. - bonkers!! Great job - one for the memories, that’s for sure. 👌

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 18/05/2024 at 12:55, FenlandPaul said:

Just catching up on SGL and well, Lee, WOW!! What an epic timelapse!! Really shows how the display built and then exploded. Awesome, and all from my favourite county in the U.K. - bonkers!! Great job - one for the memories, that’s for sure. 👌

Thank you Paul 😊. It was Ana amazing evening that just got better and better. Something I'm sure we will not see down here in your favourite county Cornwall 😊 for a long time to come (but hopefully) 

On 12/05/2024 at 00:13, WolfieGlos said:

Stupidly I was so caught up in snapping photos that it didn’t occur to me to try videoing it 🤦‍♂️ Although my lens is slow at f4.5, what you have there is brilliant 👏 

I’m well chuffed to see and photo it, but even more so for you and anyone else further south. 

Thank you so much. The timelapse was created by using the individual jpgs from the dslr working away. There was so much going on I was in 2 minds whether to move the dslr and I did on a couple of occasions. 

This timelapse is from the beginning of the night around 10.20pm and still light, then moved to capture the timelapse I originally posted. 

This night I wish I owned 2 cameras! 😮‍💨

Clear skies 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 3