Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Deep Sky eyepiece

Hello

could anyone recommend an eyepiece for DSO’s, for a skywatcher 6” Dob? I am in an area with moderate light pollution. Long eye relief would be welcome. Price range about £100.

Thanks!

Francis

Common wisdom says that you should go for 2-3mm exit pupil and lower magnifications.

You have fairly slow scope that is easy on the eyepieces, so many will perform nice.

I'm inclined to point you to Explore Scientific 62 degree line - 26mm. It is in your price bracket and as far as I'm aware (not owned one) - it is very comfortable eyepiece with 20mm of eye relief.

On the other side of this spectrum would be eyepiece around 18mm - so this one might be an option:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellalyra-eyepieces/stellalyra-18mm-ultra-flat-field-125-eyepiece.html

• Like 1

Hello NGC

I hae the supplied 10 and 20mm eyepieces, but don't mind replacing them with better versions at the same size, if appropriate. 

Your money would be better spent on replacing the (notoriouly inferior) 10mm eyepiece.  Whatever eyepiece you buy, you will not get great views of DSOs (galaxies and nebulae) from an area with moderate light pollution.  You need dark skies, or imaging equipment.

Hello FPM and welcome to the site. Have you found the astronomy tools in the resources menu at the top of the page? If you look in the fov calculator, you can put your telescope in and then a variety of eyepieces and a target just to give you a vague idea of what may be possible. The calculator will give you the exit pupil and if you look at the flo website for eyepieces the descriptor gives some info on eye relief.

I have one of the explore scientific eyepieces together with a few baader hyperion eyepieces and I am more than happy with them. The brighter dso stuff should be good with your telescope so use the calculator on M13. I tend to start with a very low power eyepiece, explore scientific 52' 40mm, helping me find the target then move up from there and with M13, a 10mm will work well. All the best.