Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSO with a planetary camera

I'm looking to sell my Evoguide 50ED but I've only used it for lunar and that was a while ago so I thought I'd test it with my asi224mc planetary camera. 

I decided on M13, I only took lights, 200 x10 second subs, no calibration frames, there were some weird artefacts mostly vertical banding so I made some "adjustments" and a bit of AI denoise and I was quite surprised at the result.

There is a small "smudge" going towards the top right corner, could that be a galaxy?

M13_50ED_224-RGB-session_1-St_DxOcropped-DeNoiseAI-standard.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LaurenceT said:

I was quite surprised at the result.

There is a small "smudge" going towards the top right corner, could that be a galaxy?

Nice result :)

Yes NGC 6207

Edited by MalcolmP
  • Thanks 1

A short time later >
  I checked your jpg in ASTAP and it ID a few pixels as possibly IC4617 as well !
You might be able to pull a bit more from the orig. ?

LT.thumb.jpg.f043b37b7669cb06a9c01e17e8cb5054.jpg

• Like 1

Planetary cameras work just as well as cooled ones for DSO (it's the same sensor tech after all other than the lack of peltier cooling). The 224 due to the small sensor does suffer from bad amp glow at longer exposures but other people have got fantastic results with it at long exposure, I think the limit I used was around 30s.

You've got a good result from it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

A short time later >
  I checked your jpg in ASTAP and it ID a few pixels as possibly IC4617 as well !
You might be able to pull a bit more from the orig. ?

LT.thumb.jpg.f043b37b7669cb06a9c01e17e8cb5054.jpg

Brilliant work, I wouldn't know where to start! I don't think I'd be able to get any more out of those short subs.

47 minutes ago, Elp said:

Planetary cameras work just as well as cooled ones for DSO (it's the same sensor tech after all other than the lack of peltier cooling). The 224 due to the small sensor does suffer from bad amp glow at longer exposures but other people have got fantastic results with it at long exposure, I think the limit I used was around 30s.

You've got a good result from it.

Some stacking applications didn't like my lights, DSS would only stack 1 file! ASIstudio DeepStack worked sort of OK but even with Siril doing the stretching the amp glow was obvious. However I try to get round it Astro Pixel Processor always works like magic for me. The Light Pollution/Background Extraction module is brilliant as is the Calibrate Star Colours module, I suppose you get what you pay for! I'm so pleased with that image I'm thinking maybe I should keep the 50ED and sell my lovely little Askar FMA180 instead!

Edited by LaurenceT
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, happy-kat said:

have you used your ASI224 with the Askar FMA180? 

Not yet though I do have the necessary connections for the correct back focus for an uncooled camera, just haven't got round to it.

Nice result.👍Small CMOS sensor uncooled cameras can work fine on FOV appropriate DSO targets. Some of the older models do suffer from significant ampglow but if you are careful to match the temperature of the dark frames this can be calibrated out 100%.

• Like 1