Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which refractor would you choose and why?

I decided to save a some money and went for a Zenithstar 81. It was £650 cheaper than the GT81 and £300 cheaper than the Starfield 102 so it made sense as a good scope to start with, and maybe even keep for a long time to come! Thank you for all the excellent advice and support.

I have a secondhand Mk1 GT81 and it has one of the best corrected OG I have seen on any scope regardless of manufacturer. 

I believe it's still the same lens even though much else has been updated which probably says something.

Hi the two refractors I have are W O 81 gt and WO 103 and they are both excellent, the 81 GT is not cheap but is great imaging wide f o v objects like M31 and Orion neb etc, plus with the reducer flattener even wider F O V 🤗

On 07/05/2024 at 10:24, Iandmr said:

Which of the three options

Hi 

I believe you really do have to witness telescopes first hand to be able to decide properly. Fortunately, this is easy via your local astro club. Between them, they'll be only too pleased to show you first hand the alternatives you mention and more. 

One big advantage you have is that you have prioritised the mount rather than the optics. Well done🙂

Cheers and HTH