NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Algorab (Delta Corvi)

Wonder if anyone can help with this double? I had a look tonight in the Tak 76Q and could see a bright white yellow primary. The sky was fairly brightish still but could make a faint pin point whiteish companion with a large separation at 191x. SkySafari identifies this star as SAO 157322 but it’s not clear if this is the secondary for Algorab? I hope it is as it’s a cracking double, I have a real liking for uneven magnitude binaries.

You are right, the B star is indeed SAO 157322 (mag 8.5), the primary A being SAO 157323 (mag 3). The pair is similar to Polaris AB, with a large separation and large magnitude difference.

The two stars have similar proper motions according to WDS, which indicates they are graviationally connected. They are at a distance of at least 600AU from each other so  the orbital period must be very long.

• Thanks 1

I have δ Cor listed as SHJ 145, mag 2.95 and 8.47 sep 24.6" pa 216°. It should be an easy target in any size scope. Nice, but a bit low for me.

• Like 2