Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Second Image in 4 months - Iris

Firstly I love this image. It's gritty and dirty with the dust. It's amazing. But still detail in the bright core.

In other pics I've seen, there's lots of (I assume infra) red. Even a hint in an image I tried.

How do you capture the dust in so much detail and shades? Is it lit by reflection from the core or emitting ir? 

• Like 1

I've been imaging this region myself recently and it is a real challenge to bring out the dust and maintain some colour in the Iris.

Just looking at your image 1:1 (so no pixel peeping) these artefacts pop up in several places across the image - I am really not sure what is causing them because they don't look like hot pixels to me:

Screenshot2024-05-01at23_10_43.png.13a75ad4e4512635742fbefbffaba8d3.png

- there are also a few orange/red artefacts - all the same sort of shape - very odd.

These ASI2600MC cameras seem to be great for capturing dust - you've done a great job.

• Like 1

yeh I noticed them in the original stacked image - I meant to investigate and forgot. green and blue ones mainly.

So.. it's definitely in the original astro pixel processor stacked image. But I can't see any similar artifacts in any of the subs or the flats, darks or biases.

So.. frankly... confused. 😶

6 hours ago, powerlord said:

So.. frankly... confused.

The only time I have seen something similar is when I have been creating large mosaics in APP, and even then it was only on the very large Cepheus mosaics (32 and 40 panes with a RedCat+ASI1600), and only toward the NCP where curvature starts to become more of an issue. They don't detract from the image when viewed in a browser but it would be good to know exactly what has caused them - I would guess a stacking/registration problem but that is a pure guess - I don't really know - and why would you get such a thing on a single pane image?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

Firstly I love this image. It's gritty and dirty with the dust. It's amazing. But still detail in the bright core.

In other pics I've seen, there's lots of (I assume infra) red. Even a hint in an image I tried.

How do you capture the dust in so much detail and shades? Is it lit by reflection from the core or emitting ir? 

It's reflection I believe. It's really just about bringing it out in the editing. It's very dark stuff, but still noticeable less dark than the deep space. Once stars are removed It's easier to then manipulate the data to pull up the dust, and then increase the saturation to bring out any colour information in there. Of course, you need to watch you only do this there, while not blowing out the core nebula.

• Like 1

Hmm..last thing I did months ago was mosaics. I did think I flipped everything back settings wise, but wonder if I missed something. I wish app has a sort of profile system where you could setup profiles of settings rather than having to scroll through every single panel.