NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Re-processing older data

While I await a night suitable for deep sky imaging here in Cornwall (6 weeks now, and counting), I intend to re-process more existing data to include Starnet++ steps. 

The following image was created with data captured in 2019 during an excellent landscape astrophotography workshop with the late Alyn Wallace, in Tenerife. Here the location was Minas de San Jose, at the foot of Mount Teide. The exposure details were 13 x 30-second exposures at f/2.8 and ISO 6400, taken with an astro-modified Canon EOS 600D and Leica Summicron 50mm f/2 lens on a Vixen Polarie star tracker.

The second version has been re-visited with Starnet++, but I also reduced the stars in the star layer using Noel Carboni’s tools in an ancient version of Photoshop Elements. So maybe I’ve overdone the star reduction - the spectacular clusters M6 and M7 won’t thank me for that! Still, the dark and emission nebulae show up well.

Regards, Mike.

IMG_0272.jpeg

Cats Paw region 50mm combined ee-01-1-01-1.jpeg

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 5

What a great way to spend cloudy evenings! I like the reprocessed image a lot, Mike. I know people can be a bit marmite on star-reduced images but for areas like this I love it because I’ll just notice so much that’s hidden away when you’ve got all those distracting suns around! Very nice.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Lovely reprocessed image Mike. You've still got a good amount of stars in it too. 

I hope you get a clear night for deep sky imaging soon. 

Clear skies 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Many thanks, @FenlandPaul and @AstroNebulee! Various forecasts have Friday night, into Saturday, clear, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's finally an imaging session.

Hoping to locate and image comets C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS (in Virgo) and C/2021 S3 PANSTARRS (in Cygnus).

Regards, Mike

Edited by mcrowle
  • Like 1

I love both. I love seeing milkyway shots, really inspired me to start learning how to take them as I started out with imaging DSO, so abit backwards really! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mcrowle said:

Many thanks, @FenlandPaul and @AstroNebulee! Various forecasts have Friday night, into Saturday, clear, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there's finally an imaging session.

Hoping to locate and image comets C/2023 A3 Tsuchinshan-ATLAS (in Virgo) and C/2021 S3 PANSTARRS (in Cygnus).

Regards, Mike

Yes I'm watching that weather window with interest Mike. Looking to get more milky-way imaging done before we lose the darkness and no moon about. I had a quick go last night, some clearish patches, so may have something to play with but stubborn high cloud was around. 

Good luck and clear skies 

Lee 

• Like 1