Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Solar disk and region details

SwiMatt

I took some time to sketch the solar disk at 60x, and did what I could to sketch the regions I could see, at 100x - seeing wasn't great. All in all, lots of details visible and to my surprise I caught all the regions currently active on SpaceWeatherLive. I also marked down their magnetic classifications.

Region 3654 has been very intricate and interesting to observe for 3-4 days now. One region does not seem to be labelled, just West of Region 3661 (top of my sketch). 

1000024090-01.jpeg

• Like 7

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, josefk said:

I really like that @SwiMatt - a very nice way to collect and log the details while preserving a nice view of the whole. 👍

I may or may not have taken inspiration from a certain sketch of M44 I saw on here a few days ago :grin:

Edited by SwiMatt
  • Haha 1

That looks like a great book @josefk, thanks!

I'm taking similar inspiration from the art of nature journaling (e.g. https://johnmuirlaws.com/nature-journaling-starting-growing/). This is the style I try to take these days for my logbooks too. Date of observation, notes, details about the subject. Here is the whole page of the sketch above (notes in Italian, which is why I normally crop it). 20240430_185925.thumb.jpg.03196f76d3709fdda89c36d5c63c845b.jpg

• Like 1

Hah. Nice.

Great minds think alike and all that 👍 - i have the JM Laws book on nature journaling (lovely) and also a "how to" draw birds book by him. Both incredibly useful. I like the approach (in both) that drawing and recording is a skill (can be learned) not a talent (innate). Gives me hope :-).

Super transferable to astro journalling. 

Cheers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, josefk said:

Hah. Nice.

Great minds think alike and all that 👍 - i have the JM Laws book on nature journaling (lovely) and also a "how to" draw birds book by him. Both incredibly useful. I like the approach (in both) that drawing and recording is a skill (can be learned) not a talent (innate). Gives me hope :-).

Super transferable to astro journalling. 

Cheers

Great minds do think alike! 🤓