Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equatorial wedge

Female one,  thanks. 

So in intending to try it with the gtix in eq mode.  The synscan pro app has a polar align option under utilities/advanced but if I try going there the app just closes.  I heard somewhere you need to 3 star alignment it first but.. how can you when the wedge isn't polar aligned first?! 

If I could figure a way to point my scope Straight up the axis of the gtixi could use it as a polar scope and align the wedge and mount,  then do the star alignment so the goto works...  i think.   Or it's use drift and adjust.

Posted (edited)

I polar align my AzGTi with sharpcap as my cameras are attached to my scope, nice and easy. I did pop a camera on for PA then replaced it for an eyepiece for a quick setup for observation. I have changed it to AltAz mode although it gets confused re its orientation. Eg. Down is up and left is right!

Slightly off topic but since it has been mentioned and I have a wedge. I was in two minds in buying the SeeStar for my daughter as she has shown interest in AP. Would the SW wedge support the Seestar? Personally I think it’s a great idea although I still think there’s still a way to go with Smart Telescopes. I have seen some good images but still in no way as good as a regular setup. i wonder if they will come out with an 80mm version and stick 585 sensor in it. I might not be sitting on the fence then!?

However. Perhaps someone can shed some light on using it on a wedge as I don’t see how it can be run equatorially if the software is in AltAz mode only. You’re fooling it I guess but the motors will still track in both axis rather than in RA?  Unless ZWO comes out with an upgrade like Skywatcher did for the AzGTi?

Edited by JonHigh

8 hours ago, JonHigh said:

I polar align my AzGTi with sharpcap as my cameras are attached to my scope, nice and easy. I did pop a camera on for PA then replaced it for an eyepiece for a quick setup for observation. I have changed it to AltAz mode although it gets confused re its orientation. Eg. Down is up and left is right!

Slightly off topic but since it has been mentioned and I have a wedge. I was in two minds in buying the SeeStar for my daughter as she has shown interest in AP. Would the SW wedge support the Seestar? Personally I think it’s a great idea although I still think there’s still a way to go with Smart Telescopes. I have seen some good images but still in no way as good as a regular setup. i wonder if they will come out with an 80mm version and stick 585 sensor in it. I might not be sitting on the fence then!?

However. Perhaps someone can shed some light on using it on a wedge as I don’t see how it can be run equatorially if the software is in AltAz mode only. You’re fooling it I guess but the motors will still track in both axis rather than in RA?  Unless ZWO comes out with an upgrade like Skywatcher did for the AzGTi?

If you check out the 2 YouTube videos in this thread I posted yesterday you will see that's what I have just started to try out.  It's what I bought the SW Wedge for.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JonHigh said:

Seestar

See the latter pages of the long Seestar thread, since it was mentioned a few people are using it in EQ mode.