Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

result of two nights combined

Posted (edited)

one last go from me. its not as good as alacants and took me slightly longer than 5 minutes :(

but its not a bad effort. i did a gentle sharpening in astro sharp just as a test.  alacant got more detail out of the fatter sprial arms, but im not a million miles away.

vaguelycomparabletoalacantsfromastrosharpbigjpg.thumb.jpg.6ad9ac318e2048f8b2d9b57f2b542225.jpg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

im not a million miles away

In fact you're there.
Even with the jpg, the detail is there. With a 16 bit tiff, you'll do even better. All you need is to go easy with the levels. Exaggerated so you can see what I'm on about:

p2.png.64ad1759c01c7aa45cd79c4cc3ce88c5.png            p3.png.be6e95f2d97d881df25994fc4df777bb.png

p4.png.fa4012fbd4e342171738296bd0426ff8.pngp5.png.5fd291c9e7bff6119e3a7b9872e86fbf.png

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, alacant said:

In fact you're there.
Even with the jpg, the detail is there. With a 16 bit tiff, you'll do even better. All you need is to go easy with the levels. Exaggerated so you can see what I'm on about:

p2.png.64ad1759c01c7aa45cd79c4cc3ce88c5.png            p3.png.be6e95f2d97d881df25994fc4df777bb.png

p4.png.fa4012fbd4e342171738296bd0426ff8.pngp5.png.5fd291c9e7bff6119e3a7b9872e86fbf.png

That's really interesting Ty

Need to look at the (I assume) Photoshop panels you show a bit more but,  Only difference I can see if the histogram further to the right but both histograms look 'valid' to me.

I think I stretched/ ghs until the noise was "too much".

I'm starting to see difference between just using histogram and using ghs.

I made it a special big jpg just to minimise lossy compression and quick downloads for people on here but I didn't realise quite how not great jpg is. I think I put two jpg on astrobin but will use tiff in future. Pretty appalling behaviour by me, considering my user name ;)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

Posted (edited)

Just watching Cuiv's latest video from two hours ago.

Not only is graxpert free but it now has a noise exterminator feature.

Gonna give it a go :)

Also deep space astro did a video too. Both seemed to really like it. Im trying it on my two nights of data as i type :)

Edited by TiffsAndAstro
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

below is the best i can do with graxpert, siril and astrosharp. my main issue is i can play with curves and bring out more detail in the galaxy, but i get a lot more red background noise. im guessing this gets better with more exposure time? apart from that, im pretty happy with this :)

i feel like i could solve that a bit by doing a clone on one part of the starless starnet++ output to another and cover up the red noise?

Processed_2024-04-24fromastrosharpbigjpg.thumb.jpg.ec19f1f399f3813fb37755eeb61a4edb.jpg

Edited by TiffsAndAstro

So...I can stack two sessions in dss. So I can pretty much add more and more.

Each sessions lights get a score. Are those scores relative to each sessions lights, or across them all?

On 22/04/2024 at 10:04, Vroobel said:

Well, indeed, I was focused on the noise reduction too much. I agree that the main object is blurred. I used a GeneralizedHiperbolicStretch which I still learn. 

BTW, I operate on the layers, process mostly the starless and use masks. I have to look deeper into the noise related to the stars layer.

well i added my third session from last night. it wasn't supposed to be clear but i went into garden at 11pm and saw stars. took me 43 mins to set up from scratch to pressing play on nina sequence.

i stacked all 3 sessions in dss, red and green background even more prevalent, but i did a background extraction in nina on the starless portion and it got rid of most of it. I did a quick post process just now and (obviously) need to go back and stretch it a little less because the red noise is still there. But was also an experiment with generalised hyperbolic stretch. Whether all 3 sessions togther improve the image or not is almost impossible for me to be able to tell, especially after i post processed it though :(

attached is a quick post process. stars are over stretch but still have some colour and still too much red banding but ill take my time with a better effort later. stars seem round even in the corners and i only cropped a little around the edges.Processed_2024-04-28sharpcap.thumb.jpg.3302d21b3482e0a0ee7e2d98e12e2460.jpg

Processed_2024-04-28 sharp cap.png

• Like 1