Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Abell 1656 - Coma Galaxy Cluster

With galaxy season upon us and the weather in the UK being so poor I had a rare clear night during a New Moon on 9th April 2024. With more poor weather being forecast I decided to get my 'galaxy fix' by photographing Abell 1656. This region of space contains over 1,000 identified galaxies so that ought to scratch that galaxy itch!

Equipment

• William Optics Z103 refractor.
  • Main camera - ZWO ASI294MC Pro; Guide Camera ZWO ASI290mm mini.
  • Chroma Luminance filter.
  • Sky-Watcher EQ6-R Pro mount.
  • Primaluce Lab Sesto Senso motor focuser.
  • Pegasus Astro Ultimate Powerbox V2.
  • Pegasus Astro FlatMaster 150.

Software

• N.I.N.A.
  • PHD2
  • PixInsight.

Data

• Chroma Lum 161 x 120" (Gain 121, Temp. -10c, Bin 1x1)
  • Darks 50
  • Flats 30
  • Dark Flats 30

Abell 1656 - Coma Cluster.jpg

Edited by Hughsie
  • Like 11

As I often do with other's images, I took the liberty of downloading, solving and investigating this fine image, just to see what's there.

I expected there to be a few Quasars in there, so using ASTAP annotation filtered for QSO's, I got the result below. Rather a lot of them! 🤪 and it looks like you got a few pixels for many/most.

Abell1656-ComaCluster.jpg.6114439cdb00fd91b3116bea6ad94fbe.thumb.jpg.e92ed6f89b1ffede05de32b5387a1c34.jpg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Paul M said:

As I often do with other's images, I took the liberty of downloading, solving and investigating this fine image, just to see what's there.

I expected there to be a few Quasars in there, so using ASTAP annotation filtered for QSO's, I got the result below. Rather a lot of them! 🤪 and it looks like you got a few pixels for many/most.

Abell1656-ComaCluster.jpg.6114439cdb00fd91b3116bea6ad94fbe.thumb.jpg.e92ed6f89b1ffede05de32b5387a1c34.jpg

Thank you Paul. I ran the same in PixInsight using the TypeCat script and pulled out a lot of quasars. Currently, calculating the distances on a few to see if I’ve beaten my most distant object captured.

• Like 1