Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are there any dark skies near Manchester?

I've been observing from my garden in the M28 postcode area for a couple of years with a Skywatcher 150/750 reflector, and am looking to broaden my horizons a bit. 

I'm looking for somewhere within half an hour from me where I won't be limited by streetlamps and neighbouring buildings, does such a place exist? 

I've looked vaguely on the light pollution map in the recent past, and nearest bortle 4 is about an hour north of Manchester or need head into Wales on 20mph roads.

For context, cuiv the lazy geek takes some great images from a balcony in Tokyo, so anything is possible :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephec said:

I've been observing from my garden in the M28 postcode area for a couple of years with a Skywatcher 150/750 reflector, and am looking to broaden my horizons a bit. 

I'm looking for somewhere within half an hour from me where I won't be limited by streetlamps and neighbouring buildings, does such a place exist? 

I doubt there's anywhere really dark within half an hour however you're not too far from the Yorkshire Dales, Forest of Bowland, the Peak District and North Wales. Late Summer/early Autumn I've enjoyed a few camps with binoculars in these places. 

You may find some gaps in the light pollution nearer to you using

https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/

Pick the World Atlas 2015 overlay.

• Like 2

Hi. Saddleworth moor is the place for you just above greenfield on the Holmfirth Rd. There's a nice big layby before Wessenden head at the side of the A635 where you can park. The only light you will encounter is headlights from passing cars

• Like 2

18 hours ago, peanutcol said:

I think the Forrest of bowland is classed as dark skies. Thinking of heading there or rivington one time.

One of the car parks at Rivington is highlighted on the Go Stargazing website, handy if you want to do a bit of [removed word] at the same time. 😂

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stephec said:

One of the car parks at Rivington is highlighted on the Go Stargazing website, handy if you want to do a bit of [removed word] at the same time. 😂

Ha ha ha. I know what the removed word is. That's the other carpark mate. The one they had to put a steel gate across 😂

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, peanutcol said:

Ha ha ha. I know what the removed word is. That's the other carpark mate. The one they had to put a steel gate across 😂

Always good to hear from someone who knows! 🙂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, peanutcol said:

The ones that I know are the car park on the left, opposite the school if you're heading from Horwich, and the ones at the barns. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stephec said:

Wow, Rivington must have livened up a bit since I last lived around there! :grin: (That would be fifty years ago...)

I think the Trough of Bowland would be darker but it's further away.

Olly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1