Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moongazing

I spent a lovely half hour last night on the hammock with my wooden frame stabilised 10x50 Bressers taking in the gibbous moon. Clouds were racing eastwards across it at times, making the views more dramatic. It was only 25 degrees or so above the horizon which meant a very comfortable viewing angle, I hardly needed to hold them, I could just let the wooden frame take the weight. I had previously spent a few minutes collimating them for infinity and that helped reduce eye strain. The Bressers are not very solidly built so it's important to get focus just right and not put pressure on the eyepieces once you've done that (I kept my specs on). There were times when I became aware of a lot more visible detail than is usually the case, especially around SE of Crisium. Is there a favourable libration at the moment for that region, I wonder. If you use binoculars, you really should try to find a way of stabilising them and finding a comfortable position to view. It's a totally different experience when everything is right. I'm over the moon and I will never get over it.

Archived