Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flip Mirror for EAA

For me EAA means being sat inside in the warm with no need of an eyepiece. I wouldn't want to be nipping in and out, looking at the screen then looking through an eyepiece.

When I started EAA I used an eyepiece to align the scope once, but quickly realised that using the camera is better and easier.

• Like 1

My eaa setup is a baader flip mirror with camera in the straight through port and an eyepiece in the flipped port. Both are set parfocal. I tend to use the camera for goto and plate solve then switch to the eyepiece for a touch of visual. At end of play I leave the setup together good to go. Anything to make life easy and quick.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M40 said:

Anything to make life easy and quick.

As per this, but mines a Vixen flip diagonal. Can do visual viewing, then switch to camera to take short or long exposures to see the target even better without moving as I can view on my mobile right next to the scope via the asiair.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Elp said:

view on my mobile right next to the scope via the asiair

Ditto. Part of the hobby I enjoy is standing outside looking up and watching the image build up. The only downside is you watch those clouds roll in 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you like to mix eyepiece and camera views then a flip mirror is the easiest solution. Getting them parfocal can be fiddly, a simple helical eyepiece holder helps. It tends to rule out a focal reducer as you are likely to have insufficienf back focus.

You should be able to pick up a Vixen one cheap as they have included them with many scopes sold.Try a want enquiry?

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

If you like to mix eyepiece and camera views then a flip mirror is the easiest solution. Getting them parfocal can be fiddly, a simple helical eyepiece holder helps. It tends to rule out a focal reducer as you are likely to have insufficienf back focus.

You should be able to pick up a Vixen one cheap as they have included them with many scopes sold.Try a want enquiry?

I have ordered a cheap one to try. The comment about a reducer is interesting. I will have to see how that works out. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...