Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

UV/ir cut filter unmodded dslr to astro cam

Should I be looking at getting a UV/ir cut filter to use with an evostar 72ed + flattener with unmodded 600d? If so, would I still use it if I get an astro cam like the zwo585?

Would any UV/ir filter also filter light pollution? I'm bortle6. I get gradients at lower targets but siril seems at least ok at removing them. 

Lastly (for now, sorry) would I use this on every type of target galaxy/emission/reflection nebula?

Your unmodified DSLR already has a (more restrictive) UV/IR filter built in. Adding an astro UV/IR will probably have no positive effect and will just be adding another layer of glass in front of the sensor. Whether you need one later for an astro camera depends on the specs of the individual camera, some come with just an AR anti reflection coating, in which case you would want a separate UV/IR filter and some come with an UV/IR filter. Sometimes you can choose which at the time of purchase.

If you're imaging RGB regardless of camera type to get the sharpest detail you need a UV/IR or luminence filter due to bloat the IR wavelength causes with lens optics. As mentioned all daytime cameras will have them built in, most astro cameras allow most/all light to pass though some do have the cut glass built in.

You'd use it to image anything when doing RGB OSC imaging. In some cases if you also have a mono camera at hand you can image RGB unfiltered with the OSC and use the mono camera to capture many hours more of luminence to tighten up and correctly assign luminence levels to the RGB data, I've done it previously. In your case you can image as is.

Edited by Elp

The ASI585MC does require the addition of an UV/IR cut filter both for planetary as well as AP. Best to check the specs of the camera you intend to buy or use beforehand.

For the 585mc, I used the ZWO UV/IR filter with my SF102 and it was fine.

If I remember rightly, @AstroNebulee used an Astronomik L3 (maybe L2?) with his 72ED and ZWO camera due to blue fringing on the stars. It might be worth seeing what he says, or asking FLO to advise which they will happily do.

With my modded DSLR, I've never used a UV/IR filter. Reading what @Elp said, maybe I should be ....

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

For the 585mc, I used the ZWO UV/IR filter with my SF102 and it was fine.

If I remember rightly, @AstroNebulee used an Astronomik L3 (maybe L2?) with his 72ED and ZWO camera due to blue fringing on the stars. It might be worth seeing what he says, or asking FLO to advise which they will happily do.

With my modded DSLR, I've never used a UV/IR filter. Reading what @Elp said, maybe I should be ....

Yes I did use an Astronomik L3 filter to cure the blue fringing and bloating of stars and did a really great job worth every penny. It really tightened up the stars. I'm in bortle 3 so never had to worry to much about LP. 

I used it on nebula and some galaxies but I was more of a nebula imager.

Lee 

IC-1848-The-Soul-Nebula-combined-finish_edit_1699496547760466.jpg

Ngc-2244-The-Rosette-Nebula-13+23-2-23-2hr-51-mins-combined_edit_87756724051712.jpg

IC 1805 The Heart Nebula.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Yes I did use an Astronomik L3 filter to cure the blue fringing and bloating of stars and did a really great job worth every penny. It really tightened up the stars. I'm in bortle 3 so never had to worry to much about LP.

Wow, compared to the images you posted in the other thread, you can really see the difference with the blue ringing. I bought a 2" L2 for my Starfield 102 thinking it shouldn't be too bad, but the L3 gave you a great result in comparison 👍 Yet another item to consider in the never ending astro journey 🤣 Hope you're doing well Lee, looking forward to seeing what you can do this Milky Way season 🙂

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Wow, compared to the images you posted in the other thread, you can really see the difference with the blue ringing. I bought a 2" L2 for my Starfield 102 thinking it shouldn't be too bad, but the L3 gave you a great result in comparison 👍 Yet another item to consider in the never ending astro journey 🤣 Hope you're doing well Lee, looking forward to seeing what you can do this Milky Way season 🙂

Thank you. Yes it's a great view if what the Astronomik L3 can do, and I learnt more about processing by then.

Always learning in Astrophotography beit Widefield or scope work. 

I did try some milky-way last night but the clear gaps never appeared but a stunning location by the quarry even if I was being blown about by the wind. 

Good luck on your imaging journey I'll look forward to the results. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1