Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ASIAIR PLUS WITH 256Gb?

Hi

A quick question to the planetary imagers. 

Do any of you use the ASIAIR PLUS for your imaging, and if yes, do you use the 256Gb version, or simply use high capacity SD cards in the standard 32Gb version? It seems to me that it might be cheaper to get a 1Tb SD card use that on the standard version. 

And, in a typical session of planetary imaging, how many Gb do you typically use? 

Thanks 

Mark 

The internal memory should technically be faster to write to, hence the option. I haven't used the air for planetary but when using my rpi minimum I usually end up writing 30-40Gb, but on there I have the option of saving individual uncompressed images at high speed rather than recording video. Time for wise it's around 15-20 minutes worth. Size will be less on the air when capturing video.

Ref plus and usb 3 speeds, when I tested both my 224mc and 485mc, there was next to no difference in FPS capture between my plus and mini.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I don't use the ASIAir (Plus v1) for the planetary imaging, but together with an APS-C colour camera they never produce more than 64GB of data. Single sub is around 54MB or so. I capture 300s subs when I work with dual-narrowband and try to do it during all available (cloudless) night. The LRGB may take more, if I capture e.g. galaxies., but stars take usually 30 x 30s x RGB. 

I use a 128GB USB pendrive, but would consider a microSD card if the USB port becomes needed. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elp said:

The internal memory should technically be faster to write to, hence the option. I haven't used the air for planetary but when using my rpi minimum I usually end up writing 30-40Gb, but on there I have the option of saving individual uncompressed images at high speed rather than recording video. Time for wise it's around 15-20 minutes worth. Size will be less on the air when capturing video.

Ref plus and usb 3 speeds, when I tested both my 224mc and 485mc, there was next to no difference in FPS capture between my plus and mini.

Thanks Elp

1 minute ago, Vroobel said:

I don't use the ASIAir (Plus v1) for the planetary imaging, but together with an APS-C colour camera they never produce more than 64GB of data. Single sub is around 54MB or so. I capture 300s subs when I work with dual-narrowband and try to do it during all available (cloudless) night. The LRGB may take more, if I capture e.g. galaxies., but stars take usually 30 x 30s x RGB. 

I use a 128GB USB pendrive, but would consider a microSD card if the USB port becomes needed. 

Thanks Vroobel