Your oldest Astronomy book.

I have these two vintage books both translated from English into Italian, inherited from my father, that I read and reread when I was a child. The first is "Practical astronomy" by Wolfgang Schroeder, the second is "Astronomy with binoculars" by James Muirden.

Astronomia pratica.jpg

L'astronomia col binocolo.jpg

• Like 1

My oldest book (that I still have) is an 'Observer's book of Astronomy' approx 65 years ago....

Then I have a copy of 'Larouse Encyclopedia Astronomy' which is circa 55 years old.

Plus: a boxed copy of 'The Atlas of the Universe' M. Beasley which is also circa 55 years old.

Sadly I'm older than all of them....

• Like 1

On 26/09/2024 at 18:18, Xilman said:

Not sure and I will need to return to the UK to find out. I certainly have a work written by John Herschel, and numerous others from the 19th century.

Much more recently pubiished - I own a first edition of Norton's from 1910. It is in rather poor condition, sadly, and I must get it rebound.

I've a few 18th century books, one of which gets used quite often. It's a Latin dictionary and that language hasn't changed very much in recent centuries.

My oldest document is a cuneiform tablet. Unfortunately I can't read it. Is there anyone here who reads Akkadian or Sumerian?

Elements of Astronomy by John Brinkley, 1819 2nd Edition.

Eight Familiar Lectures on Astronomy, by William Phillips, 1820, 2nd Edition.

A Treatise on Astronomy by Sir John Herschel, 1833 1st Edition

A Treatise on Astronomy by Sir John Herschel, New 1851 edition.

Edited by Xilman
Discovered Brinkley on the shelves.