Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SynScan WiFi Reset Issues

Not sure if this is the right place so admin feel free to move. I’ve seen some issues with this elsewhere so thought I’d add some info here:

I recently ‘reset’ my SynScan WiFi dongle with a view to selling it. Upon restart after an hour plugged in but no access, I found that the device corrupted itself so that it didn’t load as a SynScan WiFi Access Point - it shows as ESP_xxxx instead - which is the chipset default and although accessible it will not work with the SynScan app.  I read that someone had to drive somewhere without WiFi (as multiple frequencies nearby ‘corrupt’ its startup) to get it sorted. This gave me an idea - I wrapped the whole thing in tin foil and did the reset again to be safe. Sure enough, after an hour it reset to SynScan_Wifi_xxxx and I was able to access in the usual way with SynScan app and would be able to configure as needed. I thought I’d mention it here in case anyone has the same issue! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Its dem dere ay-lee-uns.....  their cosmic rays can't get through tin foil hats  :icon_biggrin:  (sorry couldn't resist - but thanks for sharing)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

April did make me double think 🙂

I never thought of that! The issue was driving me nuts though - and it was an easy fix in the end! 🤣

Hi Dazzyt66

I’m having a similar issue.

my problem is my newly purchased synscan wifi adaptor is demanding a password to access it and i know it’s the default is “open” with no password.

To reset it I’ve tried powering up for over 1 hour and over 24 hours i still get the same issue.

I wrapped is in foil as per your suggestion. Turned it on an left it for over an hour. Then i took the foil off and restarted it but the wifi is still asking for a password.

Do you have any other ideas how i can factory reset this item ? Am i missing something in the steps ?

Thanks

On a serious note.. part of the problem is that of the 12 useable channels, nearly everything defaults to channel 1, so there could be several devices all chatting on the same channel.  Turning off the router leaves just the wi-fi dongle as an access point so the app on the phone should connect without the need for a tin foil hat.... unless of course there is a flying saucer hovering over the house :icon_biggrin::icon_biggrin:

12 hours ago, Starshooter1 said:

Hi Dazzyt66

I’m having a similar issue.

my problem is my newly purchased synscan wifi adaptor is demanding a password to access it and i know it’s the default is “open” with no password.

To reset it I’ve tried powering up for over 1 hour and over 24 hours i still get the same issue.

I wrapped is in foil as per your suggestion. Turned it on an left it for over an hour. Then i took the foil off and restarted it but the wifi is still asking for a password.

Do you have any other ideas how i can factory reset this item ? Am i missing something in the steps ?

Thanks

You need to leave the foil on when you start it up - no need to reset it again. That should limit its interference from other sources and so long as you are close to it you should be able to access it as synscan_wifi_xxxx 😊

When you first connect the wifi adapter in the rj12 port on the handset do the lights flash on the rj45 port on the adaptor ? I’ve never seen the lights flash on mine. This could mean i have a faulty one

57 minutes ago, Starshooter1 said:

When you first connect the wifi adapter in the rj12 port on the handset do the lights flash on the rj45 port on the adaptor ? I’ve never seen the lights flash on mine. This could mean i have a faulty one

What mount are you using? On mine I connect direct to the mount RJ45 as the WiFi doesn’t need the handset? TBH I haven’t checked the lights as it just works…