Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Please recommend a visual mount

My interests are visual observation and occasional planetary/lunar photography. Not planning any DSO photography.

I'm presently using a Celestron C6/8 mount, but it limits how near the zenith I can go.

My scopes are a 120mm achro refractor and a 200mm SCT. 

I'd like a sturdy GOTO mount with a very quick/easy alignment. I'd prefer to avoid polar alignment.

I'm thinking of the Ioptron AZ Pro, but would appreciate your opinions.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

13 minutes ago, PatrickO said:

My interests are visual observation and occasional planetary/lunar photography. Not planning any DSO photography.

I'm presently using a Celestron C6/8 mount, but it limits how near the zenith I can go.

My scopes are a 120mm achro refractor and a 200mm SCT. 

I'd like a sturdy GOTO mount with a very quick/easy alignment. I'd prefer to avoid polar alignment.

I'm thinking of the Ioptron AZ Pro, but would appreciate your opinions.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

What level of budget do you have Patrick? That will help others advise better.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PatrickO said:

What exactly is the problem here? I have the same mount, and it isn't limited in how near the zenith it will go. The qualifiers are that being an alt-azimuth mount it does not behave well at the zenith, and you have to set the OTA correctly in the dovetail (i.e. as far forward as it will go) and not have overlong trains of equipment attached to the visual back.  Note that there is a software limiter that can be set to determine how close the mount can approach to the zenith,

You need to tell us your budget. 

Swapping the C8 SE for the CPC800 will give you a sturdy GoTo mount that, with its built-in GPS, is quicker to align, once you have the outfit assembled and in position.  It is heavy, though...  Much better all-round than the C8 SE, asides from the weight.

Adding the Starsense Autoalign system to the C8 SE will make it quicker to setup. I have Starsense on my C8, forming a quick to deploy and align outfit I can carry outside in one piece. 

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

What level of budget do you have Patrick? That will help others advise better.

I don't have a specific budget, but like everyone I prefer not to spend more than necessary.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

What exactly is the problem here? I have the same mount, and it isn't limited in how near the zenith it will go. The qualifiers are that being an alt-azimuth mount it does not behave well at the zenith, and you have to set the OTA correctly in the dovetail (i.e. as far forward as it will go) and not have overlong trains of equipment attached to the visual back.  Note that there is a software limiter that can be set to determine how close the mount can approach to the zenith,

You need to tell us your budget. 

Swapping the C8 SE for the CPC800 will give you a sturdy GoTo mount that, with its built-in GPS, is quicker to align, once you have the outfit assembled and in position.  It is heavy, though...  Much better all-round than the C8 SE, asides from the weight.

Adding the Starsense Autoalign system to the C8 SE will make it quicker to setup. I have Starsense on my C8, forming a quick to deploy and align outfit I can carry outside in one piece. 

I'm using a Meade 8" LX 90 which is pretty much the same size as the Celestron 8se. Also using a 120mm refractor. I find they are both limited as to how high they will point. I do use 2" eyepieces which perhaps adds to the problem.

I'd like a mount I can put different OTAs on.

I've thought about the CPC800/925, but then I'd need another mount/tripod for the refractor and SWMBO already feels telescopes take up too much room in the house.