Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Geoptik Nadira observing seat modifications

NGC 1502

My previous observing seat was, quite literally, a pain in the posterior. The seat was adjustable from high to low, however it was held in place by friction alone.  Sometimes all was ok, but occasionally when I shifted my weight slightly, the seat would plunge unpredictably downwards. A nasty shock in the butt😡

Then I saw my good friend on SGL advertising what looked like the answer, and at a nice discount from its new price. The adjustable seat slotted into position rather than held by friction.

However, as a confirmed tinkerer with an incurable condition that most Dobsonian users will understand, I thought a few mods would improve things to the great benefit of my grateful posterior.

The seat on the Geoptik Nadira is a bit small, much smaller than my backside- but any pics of my butt and I’d get banned for sure😊.  And also the upward angle (of the seat not my butt) is not ideal…..  So I removed from my old observing chair the only bit they got right, the padded seat itself.

Using a timber offcut from my shed (all REAL blokes and lasses have a shed!) plus an hour in my workshop sorted it. Pics below show the original before the mods. Second pic shows the adapted padded seat attached. The timber batten alters the angle to near horizontal, more comfortable than the original. Final pic shows the result.

The modified seat still fits completely into the slots and stores on the backrest for transport. And it’s much more comfortable according to reports from my grateful rear end👍

The old observing chair is destined for the metal bin at my local tip, no way would I inflict it on anyone else😊

Probably more mods to come……

Ed.

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1410.jpeg

IMG_1412.jpeg

IMG_1413.jpeg

Edited by NGC 1502
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

Nice to see that you were able to tinker with the seat Ed,
as I said in one of my posts about these, they are a Dobson of observing chairs.

Oh and I am sure everyone is thankful you held back on posting an image of your rear end 😉 🤣

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 3