NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to read about and look at images of solar history?

I'm very new to the study of the sun (and to astronomy as a whole). I would like to expand my knowledge of its history of activity, but I genuinely don't know where to begin. Aside from the Carrington event. I've read up on that one 😝 though I could always read more.

I already peek at SOHO, SDO, Solar Orbiter, and NOAA pretty much daily. And of course here 😄 These websites are great but overwhelming in their informational volume. I will gladly accept article titles to look at on these sites! Or even keywords to search.

Do you know of any other digital resource I can use?

I would also love book, artist, and photographer recommendations.

Thank you!

It really depends on what areas you would like to investigate first.

There are many resources. A good starting point might be Google Scholar. 

Cheers

Ian

• Thanks 1

If you go to Google Books, you can use the filters to only look back at books from the 19th Century, and then search for solar observations - this might give you some insight into how solar astronomy was done in the past. 

Not necessarily good science (after all, it's less than 100 years since anyone knew that the Sun was mostly made of Hydrogen and Helium rather than the heaviw elements found on  Earth), but a good record of observations. 

• Thanks 1

On 26/03/2024 at 12:33, Gfamily said:

If you go to Google Books, you can use the filters to only look back at books from the 19th Century, and then search for solar observations - this might give you some insight into how solar astronomy was done in the past. 

Not necessarily good science (after all, it's less than 100 years since anyone knew that the Sun was mostly made of Hydrogen and Helium rather than the heaviw elements found on  Earth), but a good record of observations. 

start at the beginning, fair suggestion! thank you for the resource

Here are two nice resources related to solar activity and sunspots:

http://haso.unex.es/haso/index.php/on-line-archive/

https://svalgaard.leif.org/

A recent work that I would recommend is C. de Jager, S. Duhau, A.C.T. Nieuwenhuizen, Solar Magnetic Variability and Climate, (Alkmaar, 2020). Kees the Jager was a renowned Dutch solar astronomer and published this work when he was 99 years of age!

Weather permitting I do sunspot observations daily both for a project led by Leif Svalgaard and for SILSO. My data is archived at HASO, hence above two links

Nicolàs

• Thanks 1

On 01/04/2024 at 18:12, inFINNity Deck said:

Here are two nice resources related to solar activity and sunspots:

http://haso.unex.es/haso/index.php/on-line-archive/

https://svalgaard.leif.org/

A recent work that I would recommend is C. de Jager, S. Duhau, A.C.T. Nieuwenhuizen, Solar Magnetic Variability and Climate, (Alkmaar, 2020). Kees the Jager was a renowned Dutch solar astronomer and published this work when he was 99 years of age!

Weather permitting I do sunspot observations daily both for a project led by Leif Svalgaard and for SILSO. My data is archived at HASO, hence above two links

Nicolàs

Thank you so much for these resources!