Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Iridium flare chart question

Regarding the iridium flare charts on H-A.. are we supposed to 'hold them above our heads' like the other charts? If so, then I saw Iridium 72 on Sunday night.. if not, then I'm baffled and saw something drop-dead gorgeous but have no idea what it was.

The timing is perfect, and the golden flare was tremendously bright.. no kidding, it made Vega which was just below it, look dim by comparison. If the chart's supposed to be used as an overhead one, the center looks to be spot-on regarding where I saw it. But if the chart's supposed to be viewed as a regular terrestrial map, the flare occurred in the opposite direction of where I saw it.

Makes me wonder if perhaps this confusion regarding how to read the charts might be why some individuals have been missing the flares even though they're so easy to spot?

Just had a look at one Carol and I have to say, I agree, they are designed for viewing with them over your head... The East and West on the charts are reversed. That flare sounds like an absolute peach and a real bright one too. Nice ..

Thanks for the confirmation, John! :icon_rolleyes:

It certainly was stunning, must have been my lucky night. A mag -7 flare is THE brightest one this Amateur has ever seen and the odds of catching it by accident were (ahem) astronomical at best, lol.

These things are great BBQ talking points - tell people where to looka and then it happens - always fun!

I've seen a -8, but the best I've imaged is I think about a -4 (still makes Vega look dim...)

Ant

Archived